• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Older InDesign files slow performance while connected to VPN

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why files that were created several years ago are incredibly slow to work in while connected to a VPN?

We're having major performance issues with InDesign and found out through the forum that if we move them locally and shut down the VPN connection, the performance issues are gone. But if working in local files while VPN is connected the performance is terrible again.

Most of our files are from 2016 or older that we update several times a year. It is these files, especially ones that have tables that are the problem. Newly created files are fine performance wise. However, if I copy a text block or table from an older file in to a newly created one the issue occurs. 

When it's really bad selecting a new tool can take minutes, or it's impossible to scroll to another page. 

I've checked with my IT department and my connection is good, as is my network speed. The fonts are in my FontBook. There are synced fonts through the cloud but they are not in use in these files. I'm on Mac HighSierra

What is Indesign doing in these old files? Is it searching for something? Is the code bad now? Again, everything works locally IF the VPN connection is closed. 

This is my previous post

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-painfully-slow-performance/m-p/10997931?page=1#M179...

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a short shoutout to underline this:
Due to mobile working while COVID-19 shutdown we experienced the same issues. Older .indd files via VPN have a terrible performance, exporting PDF sometimes leads to InDesign freezing. Network VPN speed is around 50 Mbit when downloading files, but InDesign never draws more than 7 Mbit at once?
Windows User.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to "save as" under new name and work with that new file? 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yes, we are tracking changes this way. Open old file, save under new name with new index.
As far as it seems this was not solving the issue...

Even when saving the .indd locally on my desktop it still has very low performance. Shutting down VPN solves this in a way for editing, but not for exporting etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ghosts. Did you try indd-idml-indd too?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines