• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One project overwriting the other project file.

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I am currently working on a two book story project. The first book is completed and the second book will be using the same layout as far as the chapters and footers are concerned.  Only the body text and images will be updated for the second book.

I thought to save time and to use the first book as a template. I would make a copy of Book One folder and rename it Book Two. I would then later update all the body text and images for each chapter of Book Two. Both folders are on my desktop for quick access.

Not to go too far with the body text, I updated only the TOC for Book Two and then saved the file. After I closed the file, I opened Book One and noticed the TOC has also been updated with the new changes that I used for Book Two.

Questions: Is there a way to keep the two projects separate from each other so that one project doesn't overwrite the other? Or should I simply relocate the Book One folder to another drive or location on my computer?

Thank you.
TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Your idea is sound. My approach is to copy all of the .indd files to a new folder, update the content, then make a new book for those files in that new folder.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your idea is sound. My approach is to copy all of the .indd files to a new folder, update the content, then make a new book for those files in that new folder.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Barb, project working good now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines