• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Online Colour Print Mono (not greyscale) from same document

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We produce a bi-weekly publication that pulls in text and logos using Xtags. For the online version it is full colour but when printed mono. I know I can greyscale the pdf but want the logos to be full black versions rather than grey. Is there a way to do this automatically without replacing all the logos and saving second file as there may be addition changes after publication so don't want to have to do them twice. Not sure if Linked files would work? Thank you.

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

You could make the logo a special spot color, call it "Logo" and adjust the color to the online logo color. For the print PDF, use the ink manager to map the "Logo" spot color to black. To see the change in InDesign you will need to turn on overprint preview. Or, duplicate the existing InDesign layer, call it "Print Version" and replace the color logo with a black version, turn layers on or off for each version. A third option is to map the specific red color to black in Acrobat using an Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having problems with 0|0|0|100 CMYK blacks not converting to 100% black, then set your Appearance of Black Export Preference to Output All Blacks as Rich Black. If you are expecting a color (i.e., red) to export to 100% gray, then that’s not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob. I'm aware that red won't export to 100% which is why I'm thinking I'll have to have two documents - one colour and one mono. But is there a way of updating the text on the colour version and it will automatically update on the mono one? I don't really want to have to do corrections twice. I probably didn't explain myself properly first time, apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make the logo a special spot color, call it "Logo" and adjust the color to the online logo color. For the print PDF, use the ink manager to map the "Logo" spot color to black. To see the change in InDesign you will need to turn on overprint preview. Or, duplicate the existing InDesign layer, call it "Print Version" and replace the color logo with a black version, turn layers on or off for each version. A third option is to map the specific red color to black in Acrobat using an Acrobat preflight profile. The attached screen shot shows 100, 92, 0, 0 (blue) getting mapped to 0, 0, 0, 100. You will need to duplicate the existing profile first, as you can't edit the original profile.

Map specific color.pngMap blue to black.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Luke for the reply. Will have a work through and hopefully solve my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. You can use the Acrobat Action Wizard tool to create an Action that will map the reds to black, convert to BW, adjust the midtones, rename the file and move it to a new folder all at once, which might be your most efficient option. The Action Wizard may seem a bit unintuitive the first time you use it, but it's not hard to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines