Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Online Published document issues on Mobile devices

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am recently working on converting a print publication to a digital publishing project and experiencing some serious issues when I publish my work online.

The published document when viewed on a mobile device (or web browser mobile device agent) is missing some cornerstone functionality, such as tap zooming, page browsing arrows to name a few. Additionally, when viewing the published document in a web browser there are lots of console errors generated (I guess this could be the reason for the lack of functionalities stated earlier).

I checked the publications featured in the Adobe InDesign User Guide here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/publish-online.ug.html and found out that they also miss the above functionality when viewed on a mobile device.

Does anyone have a workaround on this? Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a fan of anything that publishes content in a pixel perfect format. There's not a lot you can do and you're leaving it all in Adobe's hands.

IIR, this has been something others have discussed and given that so much content is consumed on phones at this point I would recommend looking into a more responsive format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I want to use this format is that I want the texts to be safe from being copied. I could also use a locked pdf but I would like to keep it simple, in terms that if one gets a link to the source, no other applications -apart from the web browser- are needed to access the content (eg. a pdf reader or similar apps). Of course some browsers like chrome for mobile supports direct pdf accessibility, but this is not the case for all browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as "safe from being copied" on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these issues sound like issues with the publish online platform, not indesign issues .

why are these indesign issues? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JonathanArias , @BobLevine 
You guys are both right, but let's just say, I don't want to make things easy for someone to grab my data just like that. Taking a screenshot of a page full of column divided texts, photos, icons, hyperlinks, protected number formats is not that easy to get spidered and OCRed. If one wants to steal the data, one needs to start typing it, or spent hours correcting the OCRed raw data that would be all messy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats not my question. i am askign why are you posting in indesign about issues with publish online platform? seems to me that this belows in a different forum?

your post is about bugs/issues with publish online, correct?

what is it that you want to do from indesign?

thanks

jonathan

[moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JonathanArias 

I am referring to a digital publication that was created using InDesign's Publish Online function. The bugs I am reporting are spotted in the digital publication. I wouldn't know what would be the most appropriate forum to post my question to, my apologies. By the way, I looked up the forums and couldn't find one called "Publish Online Platform". What I see are: "Digital Editions" and "Digital Publishing Suite". Which of the two do you recommend? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct, there is no publish online forum support.

there should be since what you are describing are issues with the publish online platform, not issues causes by indesign. Maybe someone will step up with more help, I don't know where this post belongs.

thanks

jonathan

[ moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines