Highlighted

Online Publishing - very slow loading online

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've created a interactive map and published it on my website. Unfortualtly when I load the page, the map takes 10-20 secondes to load up. In the Advanced settins i have optimised it to 72pp , Medium Resolution. The images are quite small but, it does have a total of 13 object states...  

Is there another way to optimise the file, reduce its size and reduce the loading time? 

The map: 

https://www.jspary.com/world-map

Thanks 

Topics

EPUB, Performance, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Online Publishing - very slow loading online

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've created a interactive map and published it on my website. Unfortualtly when I load the page, the map takes 10-20 secondes to load up. In the Advanced settins i have optimised it to 72pp , Medium Resolution. The images are quite small but, it does have a total of 13 object states...  

Is there another way to optimise the file, reduce its size and reduce the loading time? 

The map: 

https://www.jspary.com/world-map

Thanks 

Topics

EPUB, Performance, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loads fine here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loads quickly here too!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your map image is a PNG file dimensionated at 4270 by 1990 pixels. That is rather oversized, and performance will suffer depending on the hardware used to view the site.

Download the map image, and scale it down by 50%. It will still be quite large, and suffice for retina screens, yet be four times less resource-hungry.

I also noticed the PNG file is saved as a full colour 24bit one, which is completely unnecessary, since the map uses only 2 colours + anti-aliasing. Use a good image optimizer tool (such as Color Quantizer) to reduce to an 8 colours indexed PNG file after scaling it down by 50%.

Then replace the old version with a new version online. If you do not have access to the online version, replace it in InDesign, and set the export options to leave it unchanged when exporting.

I tested this, and the file size was reduced from 628kb to a nice 43kb without visual loss of quality.

Another candidate for optimization is the animated globe: it comes in at a hefty 8.83mb! With a quick round-trip to ezgif.com the globe's file size is reduced to less than half: 3.43mb (again without loss of visual quality).

Merely optimizing these two graphics results in a 9mb lighter initial download.

InDesign is rather bad at image optimization, unfortunately.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved. But if the issue still persists, please let us know so that we can assist you.

If any of the above-mentioned solutions have worked for you, kindly mark the answer correct. 

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines