Exit

Opentype barcode font

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

Hope you're doing fine

I'm looking for an opentype font to create bar codes. So far, I've been using a postscript one, wich won't work within 2 years.

During my research, I've found many true type fonts, bur really need a open type, for books covers (13 digits to convert)

Any idea ?

Cheers

François

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

François, the font you mentioned appears as though it is part of the IDAutomation solution. If this is the case, according to their website, opentype fonts are included, and perhaps you could upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of barcode: 39, 128, etc. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

It would be an EAN code, does that help ?

Thanks

François

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EAN barcodes have a checksum, which is a calculation. For Indesign use, there are EAN barcode fonts you can enter data string to create code. For the check sum, you can manually calculate, add to data string, or go without checksum.

Barcodes without check sum can be read by some scanner/readers, but some may not properly scan the code. This is the reason I asked the kind of barcode.

Any code that requires a check sum, I would suggest using a method that automatically does the calculation. This method can be a barcode application, web service, script, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to now, to create a barcode, I enter -:HSMDOA=UYZX[V: in a text box using a postscript font (named EAN P 30 R), which gives me a readable barcode, with the numbers below, here 9782340045361 (refering to a french book). I guess the checksum is included in the process

As John said, I've found a script to create a vector graphic, but still need an open type font, any idea wich one I could use ?

I've found online converters, such as convertio.co, wich turns PS and TT fonts into OT, but not sure it's reliable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey

Any updates ?

Cheers

François

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

François, the font you mentioned appears as though it is part of the IDAutomation solution. If this is the case, according to their website, opentype fonts are included, and perhaps you could upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your answer, I'll ask them

Have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not what you asked for, but you might consider giving up the potential risk and hassle of barcode fonts, and simply set your barcodes as vector graphics, easily and reliably generated at: https://the-burtons.xyz/barcode-generator/ For your pro application, monetary support of the author is recommended, but the quality service is otherwise free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines