Highlighted

Orphan text frames not re-linking to Master Pages

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community, 

I'm relatively new to ID but sofar tutorials and online help have been great help.

Please forgive me if this is a repost, and if so, kindly guide me to the appropriate thread - I've tried my best to look it up prior to posting, but could not find anything relevant to what I'm going through.
So here goes:

I've been handed down a 1000+ page book to reduce in size.

The book is in Japanese and from my understanding, the most straightforward way would be to look at the leading. 

Now the person who worked on it did not use a baseline grid so that's the first thing I want to establish.

Going to the A-master, to my disbelief, many pages of the book are not linked to the A-Master although it says so.

to quickly see which ones are not, (as attached in the screenshot), I've moved the a-master frame of the right page a bit to the side, and you can see that where the red arrows are, some text frames just are not linked.

some of the things I've tried:

selecting the page>page panel dropdown menu>master pages>remove all local overrides (greyed out)

select page> right click> apply master to pages
you can also see in page 7 the dotted frame moved but the text didn't > so I tried to see if there was another manual frame created on that page > there wasn't

also, the A-mater pages left and right are not threaded

Kindly if anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it, I need to relink the text frames to the master frame, and then on the master page, align text to baseline grid for the whole book, decrease font size and baseline increment.

thank you so much

philip

I need to relink the text frames to the master frame, and then on the master page, 

It's a lot of work to move all of the content to primary frames now—I wouldn't bother. If you have time, go for it. It will be a fair amount of copying/pasting. You don't need to be using primary frames to align content to a baseline grid.

align text to baseline grid for the whole book, decrease font size and baseline increment.

As for the baseline grid, I would enable it for the document in Preferences > Grids, and then snap the existing content to is as I mentioned earlier. Hopefully, the file was designed using styles so that it is just a few clicks to decrease the font size and snap to the grid.

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Orphan text frames not re-linking to Master Pages

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community, 

I'm relatively new to ID but sofar tutorials and online help have been great help.

Please forgive me if this is a repost, and if so, kindly guide me to the appropriate thread - I've tried my best to look it up prior to posting, but could not find anything relevant to what I'm going through.
So here goes:

I've been handed down a 1000+ page book to reduce in size.

The book is in Japanese and from my understanding, the most straightforward way would be to look at the leading. 

Now the person who worked on it did not use a baseline grid so that's the first thing I want to establish.

Going to the A-master, to my disbelief, many pages of the book are not linked to the A-Master although it says so.

to quickly see which ones are not, (as attached in the screenshot), I've moved the a-master frame of the right page a bit to the side, and you can see that where the red arrows are, some text frames just are not linked.

some of the things I've tried:

selecting the page>page panel dropdown menu>master pages>remove all local overrides (greyed out)

select page> right click> apply master to pages
you can also see in page 7 the dotted frame moved but the text didn't > so I tried to see if there was another manual frame created on that page > there wasn't

also, the A-mater pages left and right are not threaded

Kindly if anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it, I need to relink the text frames to the master frame, and then on the master page, align text to baseline grid for the whole book, decrease font size and baseline increment.

thank you so much

philip

I need to relink the text frames to the master frame, and then on the master page, 

It's a lot of work to move all of the content to primary frames now—I wouldn't bother. If you have time, go for it. It will be a fair amount of copying/pasting. You don't need to be using primary frames to align content to a baseline grid.

align text to baseline grid for the whole book, decrease font size and baseline increment.

As for the baseline grid, I would enable it for the document in Preferences > Grids, and then snap the existing content to is as I mentioned earlier. Hopefully, the file was designed using styles so that it is just a few clicks to decrease the font size and snap to the grid.

~Barb

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The master page frame you are pointing at wasn't designated as a primary frame with the document was set up. Primary frames have this icon:

in.png

The important question is if the body pages have threaded frames. If so, after you set up your baseline grid you can Select All and snap everything to the grid. Alternatively, you can snap various styles to the grid by editing the paragraph style properties.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barb,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply,

yes, the body pages have threaded frames, by chapter, if that makes sense, in other words, they're interrupted for a couple of pages when the chapter changes, as there are chapter title pages.

From what I understand, I will set up a baseline grid (where? in a-master or in the body? - Enabling primary frames, I'm still facing the same issue that some pages are still not linked. did I miss something? or is it that since the document wasn't set up initially with Primary frames, it cannot be adjusted now), select all the selectable threaded text (by chapter) and snap.

I can understand the very valuable alternative you gave me of working with paragraph styles properties, but I guess I'd like to leave that s a final option.

thank you so much for your support, 

Philip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your prompt and precise reply. 

I started implementing your instructions regarding the baseline grid along with styles, and it's working well!

All the best,

Philip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines