• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outline Numbering -Number nesting

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to set numbering in two formats for nested numbering.

The first is level 1

Level 2

Level 3

The other is Level 1

Level 2

a

Level 3

i

Can anyone help me with the steps to set this up. All of the info I have gone throu so far is mostly level 1 and

Thunder_man1234_0-1614642483013.png

Thunder_man1234_1-1614642704285.png

In the second example these are regulations the numbering is complicated but follows a pattern: 

Level 1 is number 1

Level to is alphabetical lower case a

Level 3 is Roman numeral which is lower case starting at i

Sometimes the first paragrah is not numbered as in the above case. In the example above they started at a and used the level 3

and restarted numbering. Right now I have manually made the entries as I think it may be to complicated to to try automate it.

My main need is to number heading level for three levels similar to the first example.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

My main need is to number heading level for three levels similar to the first example.

By @Thunder_man1234

Please start by reading this post on how to set up nested lists. This will directly address the second example.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-basic-nested-lists/

Here are screen shots for the first example. Four levels, four paragraph styles, one named List. I called mine "Heads".

l1.pngl2.pngl3.png4.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Thunder_man1234

Please start by reading this post on how to set up nested lists. This will directly address the second example.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-basic-nested-lists/

Here are screen shots for the first example. Four levels, four paragraph styles, one named List. I called mine "Heads".

l1.pngl2.pngl3.png4.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks this helped me out. I am now trying to get a TOC to function correctly using the three levels which is not going well.

It seems to be picking up numbering behind each level as well as duplicating the number level.

It is adding 08.08...etc and duplicating the level numbers 1 1., 2. 2. etc... In some cases, it is pulling in paragraph content near the end of the second page.

I have three levels and there all just a title line. I am going to take a closer look to see if the level styles are potentially part of the style.

As to the 08 after each line I have no idea where that is coming froim.

Regards,

Pat

[cid:f3396d6c-6ee5-4cb5-b078-74148dba7728]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Thunder_man1234:

This is a new question on the TOC—please post this in a new post, and include a screen shot with  Table of Contents dialog open, and More Options enabled, along with a visual of your TOC misbehaving. We can help you, but we will need more information.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines