• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overwrite review links

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to explicitly overwrite review links would be very helpful, especially when it comes to corrupted links or where Adobe programs don't recognise that an existing link exists.

The idea would be to point the review link to an already existing one.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate on this - I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about here.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so here's my story.

I'm working on a document for a client that needs to be reviewed by multiple stakeholders. I have created a review link for the client to share, but then, on occasion, InDesign won't recognise that a link already exists and attempt to create a new link. This means I have to share new links with clients rather than simply updating the existing link directly.

This means that there multiple links to a single document and stakeholders now have to stay in the loop to review the correct link.

This is pretty much the opposite of making life easier for my clients and myself. Share for review still seems very beta, and my reputation risk paying the price in the future if the issues with links continue. I see that many other users are having similar issues and are forced to perform workarounds just to be able to update links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon the typos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the links are actually corrupted - If you go to https://assets.adobe.com/links you should see all of the files you have shared.

In the Share for review panel in InDesign there is an option, three little dots (see screen grab) and then it presents a web link to Manage reviews on the web.

This has worked for me in the past when a link has not opened for me or a client. Going onto the web address and copying the link worked each time.

Hope this helps. Let me know please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, although this still leaves the issue where InDesign doesn't recognise that there is already an existing link and attempts to create a new one, an issue I've had repeatedly - even after signing out and back into CC. I still think the ability to directly overwrite links is a feature that a lot of the community would benefit from, for reasons other than this specific one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JonnoBo,

if you do a Save As with your InDesign document the "Share for Review" panel will become blank.

Even if you overwrite an existing document with Save As using the same name.

Same will happen if you package a document. The packaged InDesign document's "Share for Review" panel will be empty.

There is no way to redirect an existing review to the document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is that? This then makes the whole feature super unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, I packaged a file yesterday because it had been cleared but today a stakeholder requested a few more changes using the review system. But now I can't refresh so they see their changes were made.  I'd rather have the comment trail follow the document all the way through. It's not uncommon to think you are all ready to send to press, you package it, and then someone wants to make a last minute change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines