• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Packaging Placed InDesign Files

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on projects with lots of components that we combine via book. One section is done by another department and they are often changing it until the last minute. To combat this, I've started placing their InDesign file within the large ID file for the section. Because people tend to save over things whenever they feel like it, I like to package projects at the end. However, any placed InDesign files don't package. Is there any script or workaround for this? Ideally, I'd love it to copy the placed ID and it's links while it's packaging the same files.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link was good before you tried to package?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into this as well. I have a few master id files that I place pages from into new id files. 
But when I package and send to print - I get missing asset errors, and the missing assets are the linked id files.

So is placing id files inside an id document NOT a good idea? If they don't package whats the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi amyn64495472,

just tested File > Package… with placed InDesign pages in my German InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

All is working as expected. The placed InDesign pages were packaged. The Links folder of the package is populated with an InDesign document.

Are you sure that the links for all placed and linked InDesign pages are up-to-date?

Are any or perhaps all of the placed InDesign pages positioned on the pasteboard?

If that's the case the packaging feature will not recognize them. But that's an issue you will also have with placed images. There is a workaround: Just add your InDesign document to a InDesign book file and do the package with the book's packaging feature.

Are any or all of the placed InDesign pages on hidden layers? Or are they set to non-printing?
Then it will depend on the packaging options if the placed pages are added to the package.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I more want to package the links inside all the placed ID files, not just the files themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi amyn64495472,

hm, that task would require writing a script, I think.

And if this is done once, editing the linked InDesign documents should only be done from the Links folder of the main InDesign document where the InDesign sub-documents are packaged. Don't know if that would make a feasible workflow.

How would you imagine to work with the result of such a packaging file/folder construction?

Did you think that through? What would be your ideal result?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are the same InDesign documents that are placed in that one InDesign document also placed in other documents?

If so, how should that be handled?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines