• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbering in two ways simultaneously.

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I need to create page numbers for a book in two ways simultaneously:

1. Bottom outer - regular page numbering 

2. Bottom inner - Hebrew letter numbering

How do I do this?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

I don't think you're going to be able to create two page number models with InDesign simultaneously. InDesign allows you to specify one page numbering model from markers and/or text variables in the Numbering & Section Numbers dialog box.

Since that's the way it's going to go down, and no matter how you cut it you're going to have to enter one option manually. This suggested workflow will at least speed up the process:

1. Go to your Master Pages.
  2. 1.jpg
  3. On the right hand page, set up your page numbe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think you're going to be able to create two page number models with InDesign simultaneously. InDesign allows you to specify one page numbering model from markers and/or text variables in the Numbering & Section Numbers dialog box.

Since that's the way it's going to go down, and no matter how you cut it you're going to have to enter one option manually. This suggested workflow will at least speed up the process:

1. Go to your Master Pages.
  2. 1.jpg
  3. On the right hand page, set up your page numbering as shown above. The outside page marker is set by using a current page marker with the Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number menu command. The left/inside contains marker text you can replace with your hebrew letter numbering. You'd want to set that with the Hebrew font you plan to use for your inside page numbering. Please excuse the fact that I used a western font and English marker text, I didn't want to inadvertently offend with a poor simulation. Copy/paste/invert/realign the text in the frame for the elements on the bottom of the left-hand page of the master pages to position them the way you want. Repeat as needed if you have multiple master pages set up for your book. At this point, you'll have the page numbering positioning exactly where you want it.
  4. Go to the first document page, and navigate your way to the bottom-inside of the page so you can (ideally) see both of the inside text markers on the spread. Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+double click left mouse button (depending on whether you're using a Mac/Windows system, respectively) into the marker text on one side to release it from the master page to the document page and place your text cursor in that text frame. Press Cmd/Ctrl+A to highlight all the marker text. Type in the lower-case Hebrew characters to mirror the page number to the outside of that page. Now, Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+double click on the other inside page marker, Press Cmd/Ctrl+A to highlight all the text in the frame, and again type in the lower-case Hebrew characters to mirror the numbering on the outside of that page.
  5. Lather/rinse/repeat as necessary as you progress through the book. Save frequently through the process to protect your work. When you're done, reward yourself for your efforts.

I know this isn't necessarily the answer you were looking for, but it's the easiest way I know to get the results you want.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines