• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Numbers Not starting where I need them to

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure this has been answered but I cannot find it...

I have a document that has some pages I need numbered and some I do not (e.g. dividers).  How do I make the pages number corrrectly and not include those that are dividers?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

You could use the Page Numbering and Section Options on each page that follows a blank page to restart the numbering.  For example: if the page before the blank was 8, you could restart numbering on the page after the blank to be 9.. 

This carries inherent problems with it, however, becasue it breaks the printing convention of always having even-numbered pages on the left, and odd-numbered pages on the right. It will cause your document pages to shift, unless you un-check Allow Pages to Shuffle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

To remove the page number from those divider pages, hold down Shift + Command/Ctrl and click the page number. It will be "released" from the Master Page and you can delete it. Then you'll have to use Page Numbering and Section Options as mentioned by @SJRiegel to have your page numbering completely skip that page. It's not absolutely necessary, though, in my opinion, if the last page is 8, then the divider page counts as 9 (but doesn't display the number), and the next page of text starts at 10,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Page Numbering and Section Options on each page that follows a blank page to restart the numbering.  For example: if the page before the blank was 8, you could restart numbering on the page after the blank to be 9.. 

This carries inherent problems with it, however, becasue it breaks the printing convention of always having even-numbered pages on the left, and odd-numbered pages on the right. It will cause your document pages to shift, unless you un-check Allow Pages to Shuffle.

A better option would be to allow the auto-numbering to proceed, but don't put page numbers on the blank ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To remove the page number from those divider pages, hold down Shift + Command/Ctrl and click the page number. It will be "released" from the Master Page and you can delete it. Then you'll have to use Page Numbering and Section Options as mentioned by @SJRiegel to have your page numbering completely skip that page. It's not absolutely necessary, though, in my opinion, if the last page is 8, then the divider page counts as 9 (but doesn't display the number), and the next page of text starts at 10, well that's fine, I don't think it will be confusing and is fairly common practice. Would also save you the trouble of re-numbering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines