• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pages and layers linked or grouped

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how to work with both pages and layers.  I'm writing a graphic memoir on Photoshop and Illustrator and then final into InDesign.  As I write it, it will have a lot of pages and lots of layers for each  page.  I've searched youtube with no luck, and I've asked some people, but I wanted to doublecheck here.  What is the best way to organize or is there a way to click on the page and have it show only the layers for that page, or somehow group them together for easy editing in the future.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

I set my layers up by object category—i.e., Guides, Images, Text, Folios. Only the page items for the active spread (the spread selected in the Pages panel) show in a Layer’s sublayer list, so I can navigate a category layer’s page items by making a spread active. For example all layers visible:

Screen Shot 8.png

Hiding the Text layer:

Screen Shot 9.png

Hiding Art and Insert Art:

Screen Shot 10.png

Here my page 22-23 spread is active, so if I open the Art Layer, I can hide, show or select the page items in the Art layer for the 22

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kaylene,

Layers are document wide, so if the document has five layers then each page will have it. Another thing is that the layer panel shows the objects on each layer present on the active spread. So i think layer panel would be of limited use to you. However, what i don't understand about your problem is, what difficulty are you facing editing the objects looking at the page. I mean visually the page clearly shows what is placed over it and its layer does not matter while object editing mostly.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi   I'm trying to organize in the beginning since each chapter will have a lot of pages and layers.  I wish there was a way to click on the page and then only see the layers for that page in the layers panel, but I'm learning that, that isn't possible.    It just feels like it could get very confusing with all layers pertaining to all pages.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing a graphic memoir on Photoshop and Illustrator and then final into InDesign.

Neither Photoshop nor Illustrator are the appropriated softwares to do this. use InDesign to write and to layout and use Photoshop and Illustrator to worh on the images. Then place them in the InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I was planning on doing. Creating the images on PS and IL and ID for the final product.

PURSUE A PASSION, NOT A PAYCHECK!!!

Yours in Health,

Kaylene Buteau, MS
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaylenebuteaums
Fitness/Wellness & Dance Professional
Group Exercise Instructor
Yoga & Pilates Instructor
Personal Trainer
Professional DJ
Seminars and Workshops on Wellness and Social Dance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set my layers up by object category—i.e., Guides, Images, Text, Folios. Only the page items for the active spread (the spread selected in the Pages panel) show in a Layer’s sublayer list, so I can navigate a category layer’s page items by making a spread active. For example all layers visible:

Screen Shot 8.png

Hiding the Text layer:

Screen Shot 9.png

Hiding Art and Insert Art:

Screen Shot 10.png

Here my page 22-23 spread is active, so if I open the Art Layer, I can hide, show or select the page items in the Art layer for the 22-23 spread:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob

I sent you a private message.  I don't know if you didn't see it, or don't have notifications set up, or ?  Let me know please either way about what you think of my message.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try organizing your layers as I described, and if you continue to have problems post another question so others can also post answers. You might also look at linkedin learning formerly lynda.com for high quality tutorials—they have a 30-day trial. https://www.linkedin.com/learning/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines