• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages won't delete in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a 280 page document and I am trying to delete some pages. Every time I delete a page it somehow just reappears. It will appear to have deleted (the next page will slide into the deleted pages space and the number of pages goes down) but then whenever I click on the page in the pages panel, it hasn't gone anywhere. Also it is messing other stuff up. It's altering the headers on the pages and mixing everything up. I have no clue what to do because these pages have to be deleted. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Hi Greg:

What's happening is that your document is has threaded text frames with anchored graphics inside, so when you delete page 50, the content sticks around. I turned on text threads and zoomed out to show you:

Screenshot 2018-05-23 12.59.45.png

So, to remove page 50, you actually need to remove the contents, which isn't as simple as it could be. Here's my recommendation:

1. Choose Type > Show Hidden Characters
  2. Navigate to page 50 and double click Nameplates to select it
  3. Tap Ctrl+Y to open Story Editor (Cmd+Y on a Mac)—Nameplates wil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is smart text reflow enabled in Preferences > Advanced Type?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not... Should it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Text Flow can cause a page to return after you remove it.

How are you deleting the page(s)?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I have tried selecting the page, with SmartFlow turned off, and then dragging it to the trash can, selecting the page and hitting my delete key. Nothing I can do will delete this page. Interestingly enough, the page I am trying to delete is 50, a blank page, and I have a 61 page document. When I delete page 50 the page after it deletes and I now have 60 pages in my document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Primary Text Frame on the master page?

That will add pages when there is content, even if the content is only blank hard returns, spaces, or page break markers.

Also, when using a Primary Text Frame, deleting the page doesn't work because it will recreate it all over again...like what you're describing.

With Primary Text Frames, you'll have to use the text tool to select the content you want to delete, and then delete it.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing on the page and I have selected Override All Master Page items. This master page is set up as a dual page and looks like the image pasted here.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.22.07.jpg

This is what my pages look like:

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.29.59.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd like to share all (or just pages 49-52) I'd be happy to take a look. Put the file on dropbox and post a link here (public) or hover over my name and click message (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg:

What's happening is that your document is has threaded text frames with anchored graphics inside, so when you delete page 50, the content sticks around. I turned on text threads and zoomed out to show you:

Screenshot 2018-05-23 12.59.45.png

So, to remove page 50, you actually need to remove the contents, which isn't as simple as it could be. Here's my recommendation:

1. Choose Type > Show Hidden Characters
  2. Navigate to page 50 and double click Nameplates to select it
  3. Tap Ctrl+Y to open Story Editor (Cmd+Y on a Mac)—Nameplates will be highlighted in both views
  4. Drag to select the following 5 lines in Story Editor (or if you need "the title Appendix 1: Nameplates" just select the 4 lines underneath that line):
    Screenshot 2018-05-23 13.04.46.png
  5. Press Delete or Backspace to remove the selected content.
    Screenshot 2018-05-23 13.08.45.png
  6. There will a blank page at the end of the file. You can delete it by dragging it into the trash can.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting two pages or an even number of pages at a time and see if they delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did any of the suggestions above solve your issue?

If not, please let us know so that we can continue to troubleshoot for you.

If they solved the issue, please update the thread.

Thanks so much, Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb! This saved me. I never would have worked this issue out without your advice. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer! 5 star!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This solved my problem immediately!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines