Highlighted

Paragraph shading

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just set up a new iMac and I'm getting some issues with paragraph shading. See attached screen grab. I seem to get margin above and below the text so there is extra shading there and I can't get an even top, botttom, left, right, shading. Any ideas? It's the same version of indesign I use on my laptop and it doesn't do that on my laptop.

I'm using the very latest version of indesign 15.0.2

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 17.45.49.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 at 17.45.54.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Document Geek | Adobe Community Professional

It has to do with the chracteristics of the font. If you change the font, you'll notice that somtmies there is shading above your letters, and sometimes not, It has to do with how the font designer made the font. Some fonts occupy a smaller vertical height than others at the same point size. When that is the case, your paragraph shading will extend out the top. Here are some examples. These all have the same settings that you used. It all has to do with the font.

So you're just going to ned to adjust your offset amount to get the look you're after.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.12.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.14.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.13.15 PM.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Paragraph shading

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just set up a new iMac and I'm getting some issues with paragraph shading. See attached screen grab. I seem to get margin above and below the text so there is extra shading there and I can't get an even top, botttom, left, right, shading. Any ideas? It's the same version of indesign I use on my laptop and it doesn't do that on my laptop.

I'm using the very latest version of indesign 15.0.2

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 17.45.49.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 at 17.45.54.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Document Geek | Adobe Community Professional

It has to do with the chracteristics of the font. If you change the font, you'll notice that somtmies there is shading above your letters, and sometimes not, It has to do with how the font designer made the font. Some fonts occupy a smaller vertical height than others at the same point size. When that is the case, your paragraph shading will extend out the top. Here are some examples. These all have the same settings that you used. It all has to do with the font.

So you're just going to ned to adjust your offset amount to get the look you're after.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.14.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.13.15 PM.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what the two screenshots are. Is the top one the desired effect and the bottom one what you're actually getting? Or is one from your laotop and one from your desktop?

Have you tried using the same font on both your laptop and your desktop? Because the screenshots you posted are two different fonts.

Also, please post screenshots of the paragraph shading settings you're using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry ignore the bottom one, I was just trying to show that it does it on a variety of fonts. The top one is from my new iMac with indesign 15.0.2. These are the settings. So the shading is applied top and bottom even though I've not put any into the dialogue box.

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 18.30.12.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh good to know it's not something that's wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as Document_Geek said, the font's design affects where the shading will "hit".

But 2 other controls affect it as well: in the lower right of the dialogue, Top Edge and Bottom Edge set the place from which the shading will be measured and drawn.

Change either 2 and the shading will change. Plus, you can adjust all 4 sides with the Offsets controls.

Settings that control paragraph shading.Settings that control paragraph shading.

Adjust any of these settings until you get the appearance you want. Sometimes it takes a little tweaking here and there to get it just right for your design.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0