• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph Style Confusion

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I'm running into two distinct issues with separate documents. Maybe someone here can offer some guidance as to what I'm doing wrong.

Issue 1: When I paste content from one document to another, the shading in the paragraph style is overridden (from black to cyan), despite the fact that both documents use the same paragraph styles (I literally loaded from one to the other) and the default shading in my InDesign is black.  This doesn't seem to actually change anything visually since I'm not using shading, but it makes it difficult to double check for any formatting problems because InDesign treats all my paragraph styles as if they're overridden (+ in the paragraph styles panel and highlighted when I click on the style override highlighter.)

Issue 2: In a different document altogether with a different set of paragraph styles. 

1. I created some paragraph styles with embedded character styles. When I use them, they work fine, no problems. However, when I don't have a text box selected, that darn + shows up in the paragraph styles panel, and again, InDesign seems to think something has been overridden.

I just want to make sure that I'm not receiving any override warnings when I haven't actually changed anything—at least not intentionally. If I'm unintentionally doing something wrong, how do I stop?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

On #1, when you paste styled content the destination style’s definition is used when the style names are the same. So if you had a style named MyStyle in both docs the destination version would be used. If the destination version of MyStyle was Based On [Basic Paragraph] the [Basic Paragraph] settings of the destination document would be applied. 

On #2 all it would take would be a single character or space with in the paragraph that has a different attribute to get the override warning.

Her

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Hi Scott,

it might be very confusing for you, but please read more on the "Cyan" thing with paragraph shading in this thread that started June 22, 2015:

Strange problem: Pasting text to InDesign CC2015 always adds cyan color
Larstown, Jun 22, 2015

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/strange-problem-pasting-text-to-indesign-cc2015-always-adds-cyan-color/m-p/7337694?page=1#M24704

Let me quote this from Aman, one of the InDesign developers from the thread I linked to above:

Hi,

Alth

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

don't think you are doing something wrong.

FWIW: The first time Paragraph Shading was introduced the default for the shading was 20% of C=100 M=0 Y=0 K=0.

That changed in a later version to a reasonable value of 20% of [Black].

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On #1, when you paste styled content the destination style’s definition is used when the style names are the same. So if you had a style named MyStyle in both docs the destination version would be used. If the destination version of MyStyle was Based On [Basic Paragraph] the [Basic Paragraph] settings of the destination document would be applied. 

On #2 all it would take would be a single character or space with in the paragraph that has a different attribute to get the override warning.

Here my Paragraph Style with a Character Style applied to a word shows no Override, but if I kern a pair of letters it shows an override:

Screen Shot 8.pngScreen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rob. That info on #1 is very helpful.

As for #2, the weird thing is that I'm getting the override warning when I don't even have a text box selected. So I haven't even had the opportunity to make the slightest change. In fact, when I make a text box, the plus goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

it might be very confusing for you, but please read more on the "Cyan" thing with paragraph shading in this thread that started June 22, 2015:

Strange problem: Pasting text to InDesign CC2015 always adds cyan color
Larstown, Jun 22, 2015

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/strange-problem-pasting-text-to-indesign-cc2015-always-adds-...

Let me quote this from Aman, one of the InDesign developers from the thread I linked to above:

Hi,

Although an old thread, but because it has come at the top again due to some comments, I would like to add that this issue has been fixed with CC 2018 release of InDesign. With this release, we have changed the default Paragraph Shading colour from Cyan to 20% tint [Black].

Thus for all new documents, the shading color that will come by default will not be Cyan. You will also not be seeing "Cyan" in used swatches list when it is not actually being used in the document.

-Aman

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh.  I think I might have a fix then. I'm working with some documents that were originally created in an older version of InDesign. I'm betting that has something to do with the cyan/black issue.  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines