Highlighted

Paragraph style error in one entry of TOC

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Body text.JPG

TOC error.JPG

I have the same Para Style applied on all Chapter Number lines in text. And a different style for the Chapter title. When I generate the TOC this one entry ends up in a different style. I have tried removing and retyping, tried paste without format, and all day with zero success.

It is as if the two styles become one when making the TOC, but I purposely made two different styles. I the first is not included in the TOC, the second has a numbered list as part of its TOC entry style with prefix of "Chapter"

The TOC entry style shows as correct when I check it in the TOC creation section. There are no character styles applied to either line in the body text. I hope someone has seen this before. I'm almost ready to give up.

Thank you Barb Binder and @vladan saveljic. 

That was an instant fix. I actually changed them all to be none for Character style. So in the TOC they are now bold. I think it makes the overall page more readable to have some headings bold and some not. I hope there is no convention against that!

I am so grateful for the persisence and patience of Forum members. Sorry it took me so long to get Dropbox organized, the trials of low bandwidth in the country over a DSL dryloop.

Thank you everyone, my day just got 1005 better.

TOPICS
How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Paragraph style error in one entry of TOC

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Body text.JPG

TOC error.JPG

I have the same Para Style applied on all Chapter Number lines in text. And a different style for the Chapter title. When I generate the TOC this one entry ends up in a different style. I have tried removing and retyping, tried paste without format, and all day with zero success.

It is as if the two styles become one when making the TOC, but I purposely made two different styles. I the first is not included in the TOC, the second has a numbered list as part of its TOC entry style with prefix of "Chapter"

The TOC entry style shows as correct when I check it in the TOC creation section. There are no character styles applied to either line in the body text. I hope someone has seen this before. I'm almost ready to give up.

Thank you Barb Binder and @vladan saveljic. 

That was an instant fix. I actually changed them all to be none for Character style. So in the TOC they are now bold. I think it makes the overall page more readable to have some headings bold and some not. I hope there is no convention against that!

I am so grateful for the persisence and patience of Forum members. Sorry it took me so long to get Dropbox organized, the trials of low bandwidth in the country over a DSL dryloop.

Thank you everyone, my day just got 1005 better.

TOPICS
How to, Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look carefully at your screenshot for Chapter 12. It ends with a forced line break, not a regular paragraph break. So, for this chapter, both the number and the title are, in effect, a single paragraph.

Change the forced line break to a paragraph break and the problem should go away.

HTH,

Ariel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, still there. I tried that but it does not change the glitch in the TOC.

Are there any other options?

Would it help if I recreate the paragraph style and apply it to all chapters?

I have checked all other chapters. sorry I included the screennshot where I tried the Forced Line break, that was just desperation.

So at present have two lines with two different styles applied that work on all TOC except this one entry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Contact me in private "if you want to live"! [extracted from "Terminator" movie]

I will help you if you send me .idml file (TOC + Chapter 12 current page)

(^/)  The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great to get the help, although the "if you want to live" scared me at first.

I am a newbie at ID so do not know how to extract just a page or just the TOC file. Do I copy and paste them into another file?

I see where to change the file type to idml but I do not know how to get just part of the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just need a copy-paste of the text (TOC and current page) containing the part about the chapter 12, in a new InDesign file you will send me by email I'll give you in private!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0