New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To hide information for screenreaders 3 options are available:

• content in masterpages
  • export options for images set to artefact
  • exportlabels in paragraph styles set to artifact

The export labels did not take any effect in version 16.x It worked well in version 15.
I had to go back to version 15 to make Accessible documents.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Yes, this is a new bug, confirmed.

See the same in all my documents I tested now.

The Artefact setting in paragraph Styles is ignored. Will report this as a bug.

It does NOT happen in the US English version by the way, but in other languages as Dutch, German and even British International English(!). Seems translators broke this?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes those are the 3 methods you can use to artifact objects in an accessible PDF exported from InDesign.

When you say they didn't take effect, can you elaborate? Do you mean they still exported with a regular tag? If you mean they didn't show up in the Tags pane then InDesign did what it was suppposed to do. It artifacted them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artifacts do show up in the Tags (that is not expected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of the tag tree in Acrobat so we can see how it is tagged? And show us the same text/item in InDesign with either export option setting or style sheet applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

artefact-in-tags.png

I did use the artefact on caption text first. Then I did the same with the magazine title for testing. For both artefacts I did also try with another style. All with the same result. Then I did install version 15. And the PDF shows:artefact-works.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ik zie dat je in het Nederlands werkt, als je mij een PM (via het forum hier, klik op mijn naam een stuur me een betcht) stuurt kan ik desgewenst even naar het document kijken en hier testen (als je het met mij wilt delen). Ik kan iets dergelijks zelf hier niet reproduceren, misschien zit er iets anders 'in de weg'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overigens, waarom laat je de titel weg, is die al elders getagd? PDF2 met Title tag wordt nog niet ondersteund, dus je zou als het de eetste keer is dat de titel wordt vermeld hier nog het beste de <p> tag kunnen gebruiken is nu het advies (ipv H1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this only for testing. So the tag was directly visible. 
On the cover I advice to use the <p> tag and for the chapters <H1>. For screenreaders that will be the best option. In this document my photographs are decorative and hidden. So will be the caption text. But it was there for the screenreader and that disturbs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a new bug, confirmed.

See the same in all my documents I tested now.

The Artefact setting in paragraph Styles is ignored. Will report this as a bug.

It does NOT happen in the US English version by the way, but in other languages as Dutch, German and even British International English(!). Seems translators broke this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this bug exists in the Dutch version that Frans is using. I'm not seeing this issue in my US English version of InDesign. Not sure if it exists in other localized versions or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a document from the US vetsion works fine, but when opened in the Dutch version the tag menu in the Paragraph Style is blank. Change it to Artefact in the Dutch vetsion and the tag is lost and becomes p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!
It seems a language version problem maybe:
I got a test document fom Chad Chelius from his English version, when I open that in my Dutch InDesign version and look at the export label it is blank! (see screenshot).
When I export this leaving the blank field alone it correctly exports and Artefacts.
However, when I change the blank field in my Dutch version to 'Artefact' it exports wrong!
So there has been some mess up somewhere.
Can others please test the same in German (Uwe?)or another language version to see what happens there?

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-22 om 23.15.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I changed the language to en_US en tried again, then it exports correctly!

However, returning to the Dutch version again, that same file has a blank export tag in the Paragraph Style.

Change it in the Dutch version to 'Artefact' and it will be ignored again and export as P-tag!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this bug is also with my German InDesign version 16.1.0.20.

In that version the tag's name changed from "Artifact" (15.1.3.302) to "Außertextliches Element" (16.1.0.20).

And that renamed tag is not recognized as "Artifact" in PDF export.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also present in the British (Internatinal) English versions!

So broken in all languages it seems except US English.

Translators not knowing what they are doing and breaking things?

This need to be fixes ASP in a hot fix as it breaks documents and workflows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines