• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pase elements from Illustrator to Indesign goes wrong

Participant ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pasted element just disappears in the indesign book.

sometimes it work well. most of the times it's coming as a huge element which i can cope with.

but sometimes as this example shows, i just dont find the element.

Is there any smarter way to paste?

https://vimeo.com/526373933

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and pasting from Illustrator to InDesign is a bad workflow.

Simple elements are ok sometimes.

You really should use File>Place

And place the Illustrator file. 

Adding large complex copy and paste from Illustrator will introduce crazy clipping paths, compound paths, and other workflow issues. 

It is highly recommended to use File>Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Eugene indicated, use File > Place as a best practice for adding Illustrator files to InDesign. An additional benefit is that you have control over showing/hiding layers in your Illlustrator document via Object > Object Layer Options.

You can also manage variations in your Illustrator files using artboards, which is useful for items like logos that have different color options (color, black, reverse, etc.). Using the Place command on the same file but choosing a different artboard allows you to easily swap to another version without having to make any other adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only problem is that Copy&Paste is much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do whatever you like.

Do it wrong way or do it right way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to implement your way-of-work, but another issue i stumbled is that when i PLACE it, it shows in a really low resulution, it shows normal only when i change "display perfomence" to "high quality display"

How can i make it to be shown normal on typical display?

danezeq_0-1616363590859.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Close all documents, then set View > Display Performance to High Quality Display. Documents should open in High Quality Display mode after doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like something is wrong with one of the documents, or your clipboard. In the video the AI selection is showing as 3.699cm x 2.047cm in the control panel, and the pasted object in InDesign is measuring 290.2cm x 268.7cm. What happens if you use the white direct selection tool in AI, direct select one of the objects in the artwork, and paste that into ID? Does it also happen if you cut and paste between new documents?

Also cut and paste isn’t as much of a problem on OSX because the clipboard contents are always high quality PDF. Both AI and ID have Clipboard preferences where you can prefer PDF for the cut and paste. You might try setting your Clipboard prefs in both apps to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think it's aldready set this way no?

danezeq_0-1616363954044.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've found that if i copy the sign without the logo, the error doesnt occour

https://vimeo.com/527027062

but even if i ungroup the logo i cannot isolate the faulty element.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keeping investigating ive found that the problem is probably within illustrator:

https://vimeo.com/527031062

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines