• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste content from one InDesign table to another, without formatting?

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I need to copy text content from one InDesign table and paste into another table with different text formatting [different font, colour, size etc]. The problem I've got is if I highlight the original table and copy, InDesign doesn't allow Paste without Formatting.

If I copy text contained WITHIN a cell in the InDesign table, and paste into a separate table, Paste without Formatting works fine.

I'm guessing the issue is because when I highlight the entire original table, and copy, I'm not only copying the text formatting but the table formatting too?

Anyway, is there a way around this...I really don't want to have to copy and paste each bit of text separately! Would it be I just need to paste in the content with the original formatting and then apply my new Styles to it?

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

My workaround is to convert the table you want to copy from to text. Then you will be able to copy the needed lines, highlight the rows they go into, and Paste without formatting will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is to convert the table you want to copy from to text. Then you will be able to copy the needed lines, highlight the rows they go into, and Paste without formatting will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, that appears to work!

I would of imagined the convert table text would of pasted into one cell, as appose to separate cells...but it doesn't!

Sweet, thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

Without wanting to be unpleasant [you know me and you know I'm so cool!  😉 ], and even if it is a workaround, I am not really convinced!

[Time to eat; explanations later!]

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this trick often - it gets the job done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These 2 scripts too! …

Associating the 2 Scripts to 2 keyboard shortcuts, as Ctrl-C, for "copying" and Ctrl-V, for "pasting" (even if I absolutely don't use copy-paste [funny!] in the scripts), the game can begin!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FRIdNGE,

Very nice. Where might these scripts be available, if you don't mind me asking?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks exactly like what I need right now! Where can I get those scripts? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi blackberryd1991,

my workaround is:

[1] Select the table cells and copy them to the clipboard.

Switch to Excel.

[2] Paste to a single cell selected in a new Excel spreadsheet.

[3] Copy the selected cells to the clipboard.

Switch to InDesign.

[4] Select a single table cell in InDesign

[5] Paste the contents of the clipboard.

Just tested this successfully with my German InDesign 2021 and old Excel from Office 2010 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did give that a go, but I'm finding if my cell [in InDesign] conatins more than one word, when I paste into Excel is puts the words into seperate cells ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's likely because your data contains hard/carriage returns. My workaround is as follows:

• In Excel after pasting your the InDesign data, do a find and replace Ctrl+F 
  • Find all returns (Type Ctrl+J in the find box, you won't see a visible character but you can see the cursor move one space)
  • In the replace field, type the most unlikely character to be in any of your data. For me that's the "\" character.
  • Replace all
  • Now go back and copy and paste the excel data into your Indesign file
  • Once back in InDesign, select the entire table and Find and Replace all "\" with a forced line break "^n"
  • All your carriage returns should go back in their proper place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi blackberryd1991,

did some more tests. Switching between InDesign and Excel is working as expected as long as a table cell does not contain more than one paragraphs or a tab special character. And of course other special characters as auto page number, footnote or endnote will not be transferred as well. Also not anchored objects.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines