• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting shapes from illustrator not working anymore?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have often pasted simple icons or shapes from Illustrator directly into the indesign document.

I know it's not the super-correct way but I have done so for a long time and I find it easier when I need to change the color of a symbol due to a darker background and so on. 

Now that I have updated to ID 2021 I can no longer paste those shapes. They seem to be changed into a bitmap image with transparency (.PNG possibly?). The program is set to prefer pdf in the filehandling setting. I'm using the mac versions. So annoying to look for solutions to stuff that always worked before...

Please help. 😄

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Alright. Then please post the Illustrator file with the leaf shape.

My assumption is that your pasteboard clipboard handling settings in the preferences of InDesign and/or Illustrator are not the default ones anymore. Or, less likely, there is a severe bug. But let me test your simple shape. On my side, German InDesign 2021 and German Illustrator 2021 on Windows 10 there is no issues with copy/paste simple shapes.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED: Had written "pasteboard setting"s where

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MangoDude,

put the Illustrator file with that shape on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link so that we can see into the issue and test with that shape. Could be that it is too complex.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Thanks for helping. I've tried a lot of very basic shapes. Not even a circle or a square works.

So I don't think it is the complexity of the artwork that is the error.

I'm guessing it is a setting that I can't find or maybe somekind of bug.

In my screendump there is a leaf which I pasted prior to updating the program and below are the circles I pasted after updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. Then please post the Illustrator file with the leaf shape.

My assumption is that your pasteboard clipboard handling settings in the preferences of InDesign and/or Illustrator are not the default ones anymore. Or, less likely, there is a severe bug. But let me test your simple shape. On my side, German InDesign 2021 and German Illustrator 2021 on Windows 10 there is no issues with copy/paste simple shapes.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED: Had written "pasteboard setting"s where I meant "clipboard handling settings".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Thanks. 

https://we.tl/t-buQI0nKtE9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe.

That is correct. Corrupted preferences, I guess.

I trashed the complete preferences folder for indesign (~/library/preferences/adobe indesign/version 16.0/ ) restarted and BOOM! things works like they should again. Thanks for the assistance.

Strange since it's a new install and a bit of a drag getting everything back the way I like it, but problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Tested. As I thought: No issue on my machine.

So here are my German clipboard handling preferences for InDesign that are also the default if you do a clean install without migrating preferences from older versions of InDesign:

ClipboardHandling-Preferences-InDesign-2021.PNG

And here the preferences with Adobe Illustrator 2021, also the default settings as far as I know:

ClipboardHandling-Preferences-Illustrator-2021.PNG

Ok. Now check if there are any differences in preferences.

Also check if there is other software running that could perhaps influence the contents of your system's clipboard.

Something like a clipboard manager…

Shape in your AI file with the Direct Selection Tool selected so that we can see path points:

ShapeSelected-AdobeIllustrator-2021.PNG

Shape after pasting to InDesign also with the Direct Selection Tool selected:

ShapeSelected-AdobeInDesign-2021.PNG

Hm. Did you use the Selection Tool when using the Copy command?

Or did you use the Direct Selection Tool ("white arrow tool") ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe.

As I mentioned earlier you got me thinking of bad preferences and I believe my settings for InDesign were corrupted. Thanks for all your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines