• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting vector graphics from illustrator into IND generates new color swatches

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i copy vector elements from illustrator to indesign new color swatches are generated. The name and values of the color swatches are identical in both programms. Also the color profiles are the same. But when i paste the vectors into Indesign a new color swatch with the colorvalues as name is generated. For example "orange" is renamed to "c0m56y100k0". Now i have a color swatch "orange" (previously generated in IND) and a new swatch "c0m56y100k0. But both swatches have the same cmyk values.

This complicates the management of colors over many documents. Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what's your version of InDesign?

For InDesign CC 2015 and above:

1. Sort all swatches by color value.

There is a menu command for this with the Swatches panel.

2. Then select all swatches you want to merge into one:

First select the one you like to keep.

Then add all others to your selection.

You could use Shift + Click or Ctrl + Click.

3. Finally use the menu command "Merge Swatches".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you for the quick answer. We are working with CC2020. Sure we can merge the swatches - but i hoped to avoid this extra step. It would be nice to have a consisten worklflow in IMD and Illustrator. Im wondering why the change in the swatch name hapens - for me it seems not to be neccesary cause the color values are identical in both programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you copying and pasting from illustrator rather than placing the graphics? I have always found that when placing from Illustrator the color swatches remain consistent. 

You can also merge the two swatches that you are getting using the Merge Swatches option found under the Swatches Panel pull-down menu. Select both swatches in the panel and then apply this option. The name of the merged swatch will be the swatch that was selected first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you really should stay away from pasting graphics. it bring up file size dramatically. it can cause print issues. and you can have issues like this one. Place you files into your layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one big advantage to pasting .ai files into InDesign. The item can be ungrouped and manipulated like native ID objects. This means you can change colors, transparency, and blend modes on a per object basis. Granted, this is not something I'd recommend for something like a corporate logo, but for less important graphics this technique is sometimes worth using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We got a icon library in Illustrator from our client. We paste the icons (very simple icons) into a catalouge in IND to test new layouts and color themes. It is easier and faster to change the icon colors in IND than  making all versions in illustrator and generate so many versions to import. Cause the color values in both applications are identical i assumed the swatches would keep the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"… Im wondering why the change in the swatch name hapens - for me it seems not to be neccesary cause the color values are identical in both programs."

Not necessarily. InDesign and also Illustrator are rounding color values that are exposed to the user.

Internally the values could be different: Up to 13 digits after the decimal dot. Unless you get the values by scripting and compare them you never know.

A name like "c0m56y100k0" can represent different colors.

For example:

0 Cyan

56 Magenta

100 Yellow

0 Black

Or e.g.:

0.3 Cyan

56.49 Magenta

99.56 Yellow

0 Black

Or others as well. Even if you see the same value in the user interface there could be different values internally because of the rounding. If you want to see exact values you could fill a rectangle with a process color and run a script like this:

var fillColor = app.selection[0].fillColor;
var fillColorName = fillColor.name;
alert
( 
fillColorName +"\r"+
fillColor.colorValue.join("\r")
);

One example where I converted an RGB color to CMYK.

Compare its name to the values that are showing up in the GUI:

ExactColorValues-2.PNG

And to the internal exact color values:

ExactColorValues-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if one is using predefined colors from Adobe Illustrator one could get into trouble.

Just pasted a rectangle filled with "CMYK Yellow" to InDesign. Technically the result is OK, but InDesign fills the rectangle with an internal color named "Yellow" that cannot be seen in the Swatches panel. You will not be able to replace all instances of the fill with Object Find/Replace.

FWIW: To get the color names from Illustrator with copy/paste to InDesign the colors must be defined as spot colors in Illustrator.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines