Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pathfinder : substract an open path from a shape

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Above all, you will find two pictures attached to this message to illustrate what I try to explain.

I need to substract the selected white path from the dark grey shape below the path. I used Pathfinder > substract, but it also erases the part of the grey shape "inside" the path, as illustrated in the second picture to be downloaded. I guess this is related to the nature of the path and I tried some little things, but it didn't work... Has anybody a solution ?

Thank you all for helping all of us who don't find a solution on their own, this is so nice of you !  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

This would be simpler to do in Illustrator, because you could expand the stroke (I don't think that is possible with InDesign). There is a workaround -- instead of a stroked path, use two concentric circles, and make a compound path of them, then use Pathfinder again with the compound path and the other shape.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.35.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.35.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would be simpler to do in Illustrator, because you could expand the stroke (I don't think that is possible with InDesign). There is a workaround -- instead of a stroked path, use two concentric circles, and make a compound path of them, then use Pathfinder again with the compound path and the other shape.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.35.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.35.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines