Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF completely different from InDesign file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've made a CV on InDesign for a specific company and am really happy with the result. But when i come to export it to PDF, the colours and everything is just so different, not even close to the original file. 

Really hoping someone can help me out here! I've attached the InDesign file (Personal info obscured but general design is easy to see, and then the PDF for comparsion.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Seeing your screen shots, it seems that you have changed the [Paper] color to black and used it for the background. [Paper] color is used to simulate the paper color but it won't print neither export to PDF and you should not use it to color a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing your screen shots, it seems that you have changed the [Paper] color to black and used it for the background. [Paper] color is used to simulate the paper color but it won't print neither export to PDF and you should not use it to color a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I see now it was a fairly simple solution but as my first ever time using InDesign, assumed [Paper] colour was just changing background colour. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side issue, has the company asked for CVs to be presented as PDFs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've asked for PDFs or Word Documents yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One tip: a CV is an important thing, and it's easy to think of it as something that will be treasured and passed from hand to hand as part of the recruitment process. However, one of the first things any HR department may do, on receiving a CV, is to scrape (extract) all the text to add to their recruitment system. Your original CV may then be filed (some companies may have policies not to present the original CV, especially if there is a personal photo on it - this is often banned by strong rules or even the law). 

So, once you've made the CV, to be safe, do the same thing. Extract the text. Look at it and read it carefully, unformatted, without layout or graphics. Make sure it still has the meaning you intended it, and nothing is lost.  Things may work differently in the creative industries, but probably not for a creative department in an otherwise typical company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines