Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Export of a magazine with upside down pages

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang.

I have created a 24 pg magazine that is unique in that the entire second half of it is upside down.

Everything works well in InDesign, but when I export the mag to a pdf file, the upside down pages are all out of sequence. I literally have to take each page in Acrobat and rearrange them.

Is there a method of exporting that would preserve page sequence of the upside down pages?

Thanks,

B

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

It might be easier to export normally and use AcrobatPro to rotate the pages Tools>Organize Pages:

Screen Shot 7.png

Screen Shot 9.png

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not build the upside down pages as a separate PDF and merge the pages together in Acrobat. Or else give special handling instructions to the commercial printer.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be easier to export normally and use AcrobatPro to rotate the pages Tools>Organize Pages:

Screen Shot 7.png

Screen Shot 9.png

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, imposition is done by your printer. If you're using some sort of generic online printer, Rob's suggestion is the approach I'd take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m guessing this isn’t actually anything to do with imposition, but rather “two magazines in one” where the reader can flip over the printed magazine and get a  ew front cover and (half) contents. Like the old “Ace Doubles” paperbacks.

I see see no obstacle to doing this (except neck ache), making up a 24 page design with pages 13-24 upside down In InDesign and on screen. This should work, and export as you wish. since it doesn’t work for you, please tell us

- your InDesign version

- how the work is prepared in Indesign (what you have at the time of export)

- how you export, with settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this going to be commercially printed and have you talked to the printer? Normally the rotation can be done in the imposition/binding process and you shouldn't have to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd take Rob Day's approach, but have two InDesign documents - one for "book one", and one for "book two" set out as regular facing page documents, and then make PDFs of both titles.

On only one of the PDFs, the page order needs to be reversed and the pages rotated 180 degrees. The rotation part can be done in Acrobat as it ships, but easily reversing the page order (in my case) is done using a free add-in to Acrobat that adds two functions to the edit menu - collate and reverse. It can be found here - Re: How can I merge even and odd pages of a PDF?  (it is post 8).

From here, use the combine PDFs feature in Acrobat to combine both PDFs together.

My work calls these kinds of books "verso" books, though I'm sure there is a proper term for this kind of book. I've used this technique to create several "verso" books successfully.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us about the page numbering? If it’s 1-12 right side up and again 1-12 upside down as these things usually are, that would account for the out-of-sequence. Can we see your Pages panel and can you tell us how you numbered the pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

FWIW: it could be done by InDesign as well.

Two sections, each with 12 pages.

The tricks:

A. Section 1 contain page 1-12 where page 12 is in a separate spread.

B. Spread view of section 2 that contains also 12 pages is rotated by 180°.

C. Exported page range is: +1-+12,+24,+23,+22,+21,+20,+19,+18,+17,+16,+15,+14,+13

Also see into master spreads B that is applied to pages of spread 2 where I reversed some things for the margins.

See my sample documents on my Dropbox account:

Dropbox - TEST Document Setup 1-12 12-1.zip

Problems with that?

Objects that crossing the spine in section 2.

Definitely a challenge for the layout.

Here a screen shot of the Pages panel:

DocumentSetup-1-12_12-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another scenarium:

Have one document with two sections similar, but not exactly like the one in my post above.

Export pages of section 1 to PDF/X-4.

Export pages of section 2 to PDF/X-4.

Do a new InDesign document with 24 pages and place the PDFs.

Where appropriate, pages 13-24, place the PDF pages in reverse and rotated.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, that’s a good solution, and you have the view of the second set rotated so you can see the upside down pages while working. (My question about how he was numbering pages was actually to find out if he mentioned sections.)

Exporting with absolute page numbering looks like it’s the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've thought of another way. It involves having three InDesign documents - one for "book one", and one for "book two" set out as regular facing page documents, and the last document is the one that becomes the "verso" book.

In the last document, you will need to have the following script: https://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files...  - run it once and import the first indesign file using the script:

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 20.01.34.png

Then, when importing the second document that needs to be in reverse order and rotated, run the script again and import the second indesign file with the following settings:

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 20.03.31.png

I've started on page 25 because the previous import was 24pp. If your first document is a lower page count, adjust this figure accordingly.

After running the script a second time, you will now have an indesign file that has the two indesign files placed into it in the correct order for a "verso" book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - lots of answers and suggestions! Thank you all so much. I am going to read through everything and then decide what I should do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify the incorrect nomenclature that I gave earlier. While I'd always known the product as a "verso" book, this is the incorrect term (verso is a different printing term that refers to the left hand page of a book in western culture) and I believe the correct term is called tête-bêche (fr - head to tail).

Source: ABC-CLIO > ODLIS > odlis_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines