• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF export pages not exporting whole page size

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there! I'm having an issue when I export a two-page file to PDF as separate pages. Whenever I place the exported PDFs into an new document I find that the PDFs are not the whole page, as if some of the edges are gone. Is there some option I'm missing?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Are you modifying the PDFs before placing them? The InDesign import options allow you to crop the placed PDF by the art, crop, trim, bleed, media or bounding box in your PDF (assuming said PDF has all of these boxes) this may be the source of your problem. Did you check the import options? Also, you may be placing the PDFs into an existing box, try placing them without using an existing box.

You can continue to export to PDF and then place the PDFs into a new InDesign file if you prefer, I simpl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) when exporting your separate pages? That function should export the entire page. When placing the exported pages are you placing onto a page of exactly same size as the original size? Are you clicking at the upper left corner of the page rather than dragging (which may scale the placed PDF)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your reply! I am using that method to export it. The original files are a front and back label and I want to make a mock up on regular paper, like the image below. However, when I placed the front files there was none of the white edge on the right sides, it started right at the swatches. To make it clearer, please see the images below. I put a stroke around what the exported file is like. When I export it as jpeg you'll see that it exported correctly. I've attached those as well. I can't figure out what's happening with the pdf export.

PoG_KBC_mockup 2.jpgThe Kathryn Bevier Collection Label v3.jpgThe Kathryn Bevier Collection Label v32.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to export to PDF to place your pages in a new document, you can place the original InDesign pages into another InDesign document. Show your import options when placing the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that each document is two pages, can I place both pages that way? Also I will need correct PDF files when I get them printed on the sticker labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that each document is two pages, can I place both pages that way?

Yes.

Also I will need correct PDF files when I get them printed on the sticker labels.

It's usually better to make your changes on the original InDesign file, then export to a new PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, what I meant about the PDF part, is that I'll have to have files like the bleow, but in PDF form when I eventually go to get them printed as sticker labels. The front and back will need to be their own sticker, meaning that if the file dosen't export the exact page size it will not align correctly on the sticker. Again, it works perfectly as a jpeg, like below, but the edges are clipped for some reason when exported to PDF. Also thank you for your help! 🙂

The Kathryn Bevier Collection Label v3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you modifying the PDFs before placing them? The InDesign import options allow you to crop the placed PDF by the art, crop, trim, bleed, media or bounding box in your PDF (assuming said PDF has all of these boxes) this may be the source of your problem. Did you check the import options? Also, you may be placing the PDFs into an existing box, try placing them without using an existing box.

You can continue to export to PDF and then place the PDFs into a new InDesign file if you prefer, I simply don't see any reason to do more steps than necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH, that was my problem! The import options had been unchecked - I've never even played with those options in InDesign before. Thank you so much! 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines