Highlighted

PDF file too large...X Object Forms?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign file is 5mb.  When I export it to a PDF, it becomes 80mb.  Compressing the file didn't work because it is too large.  I don't think it is the images in the document--when I used the Optimized PDF function with Adobe, much of the issue was "x object forms" (taking up 90% of the file size).  Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF file too large...X Object Forms?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign file is 5mb.  When I export it to a PDF, it becomes 80mb.  Compressing the file didn't work because it is too large.  I don't think it is the images in the document--when I used the Optimized PDF function with Adobe, much of the issue was "x object forms" (taking up 90% of the file size).  Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information and a few screen shots would be helpful to allow us to give you the relevant advice you are looking for.

Is your document full of complex vector art graphics?

Are there placed images? Size? Qty?

What are you exporting? Postcard? 10 foot banner?

Form XObjects are just another kind of page content. They are just named groups of graphical objects within a PDF file.

They are typically (but not only) used for things that appear more than once, to save space.

More info from you will help us define a more specific answer.

Thanks

-Dax

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document (a magazine) is 73 pages with very few graphics/images.  The images are small. It's mostly text.  It's being exported as a PDF document (8.5x11). Images were imported files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images embedded in the InDesign file or linked to a local source?

What scale are the images placed as? Just because they are small in the document - InDesign and PDFs treat them as the full expanded size (if compression was used when the image was saved).

If you have deleted all the text and images in the file, what is left in the document? If it's truly empty (check master pages, pasteboard, etc.) then perhaps it's time to move to a new, clean document and recreate there.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when  delete all the text and images and save the file, the file size is still large...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the file somewhere?

-Dax

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this post is one year old, I wonder what you did to reduce the filesize in the end.

I myself figured out kind of workaround for the Xobject forms-problem in this way:

- open the PDF with Acrobat (not the reader).

- save as Powerpoint PPTX

- open the PPTX

- in Powerpoint: Export the PPTX via Acrobat-Tab  "Create PDF". Within this you still can do some settings to reduce quality of images - but maybe this is not necessary, because when you audit the newly created PDF in Acrobat you will find the Xobjects gone. The convert-process made images and other objects out of the Xforms which now are easily reduceable in size.

This worked well for me. I needed the reduced size PDF of a magazine for our reviewers not for printing.

Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible worklfow, it is not to recommend. Stop destroying files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, terrible, terrible workflow 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to fixed my document. First, you will have to inspect and see your link panel, find out all the vector files... Such as AI, EPS etc... Then using their specific programe and export in PNG or JPEG. Relink all the images and export again... This will get rid of all the X-Object Forms in your pdf making it more compressable. 

I did all these... its a dam tedious process as i am used to export use vector files so that my export is crisp and claer for pront. However, due to COVID-19, print menus is no longer a thing, people use eMenu which is like a pdf online and i have to get it to the smallest file available so loading is fast. Managed to down size a 40mb file into just under 12mb.

Hope it works for you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one,not even one person should ever follow your advice. You are only destrying quality. The best is not to use PNG if you have vector files available. Export as interactive PDF and you will get a smaller file size.

Never make a jpg from a vector file, terrible.

Never use EPS in any way or form in modern days.

If your PDF has 40 MB, other problems in the production workflow are to be expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines