Highlighted

PDF is all spans from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the newest version of InDesign and Acrobat Pro, and everything was fine but then all of a sudden my print and interactive PDFs exported (with tags) and in Acrobat all I see are spans, all spans in the Order Panel and Touch Up tool. No other tags show, except in the Tags panel the tags look fine.

I uninstalled the programs, no change...still a problem.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

L

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF is all spans from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the newest version of InDesign and Acrobat Pro, and everything was fine but then all of a sudden my print and interactive PDFs exported (with tags) and in Acrobat all I see are spans, all spans in the Order Panel and Touch Up tool. No other tags show, except in the Tags panel the tags look fine.

I uninstalled the programs, no change...still a problem.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

L

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and OS are you?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see below

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 0
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the problem if the tags look fine in the tags pane? The InDesign team did make changes to how accessible PDF files are generated in InDesign CC 2018 so you may see differences with the new version. What are your concerns?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my answer came out below!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have OS Sierra 10.12.6. I got the MacAir computer about a week ago and it worked fine, no issues. Then all of a sudden it started to do this!

I either open an InDesign file from the web (I tried many) or I create my own. I export to print or interactive (I tried both), and all give me the same issue.

When I open the PDF, I see the tags look fine, but when I use the touch up reading order tool, I only see spans, figures and tables, nothing else, no headings, paragraphs, nothing..I see numbers for the Order Panel fine, but it is the TURO tool that won't show me the tags...

I then tried to uninstall both Pro and InDesign (both latest versions), installed and same thing...then I tried to do the one version back of InDesign, same thing

Any help you can provide is hugely appreciated!!! I also had a room full of mac users try this too with not the most current version of 2018 (that update was last week), but the version before it and they saw the same thing! They were using an InDesign file I gave them on stick.

Off topic: Chad you do great training online, some of the best I have seen!

Cheers

L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 0
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the kind words L! Let me ask you. Do you get the same results with other InDesign files now or is it isolated to this one specific file? That answer might help us to determine the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files, weird!

I spent a good hour with adobe support and it turns out that I am having issues with the create tags on export feature! When I use the print PDF and don't click create tags, I export it and tag it in Acrobat Pro and it seems to work. Now I haven't gone through every tag, but at least now I see P and Hx tags!

It is very odd, he even cleared the machine cache, which I thought might be the issue, but nope that didn't solve it. The not creating tags and using Print did solve it. I thought I might have to use Interactive since I had hyperlinks and bookmarks, but seems it doesn't matter!

Thanks!

L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 0
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi L,

Printing to PDF as you probably already know removes the InDesign engine from the equation and doesn't tag anything at all. This is definitely the hard way to make an accessible PDF file. Would you be willing to send me the file so I can test on my end?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

Yep, the hard way indeed! Yes, I can definitely send it to you. Do you want the indd and the pdf? How best to get it to you?

Thanks!

L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me a direct message with a link to the file or I can give you my email address.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, I will direct message you and see if you can find the answer! Adobe can't figure it out, and I found more computers that have had this issue (more on that in the direct message).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derrick

Can you please share your file at rdubey@adobe.com .

Thanks

Rohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rohit,

Thank you so much, I will send all the information to you.

L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 0