Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF line weight - please help!

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I save from InDesign as a PDF any line drawn with the pen tool/circle tool etc stay the same line weight no matter how much I'm zoomed in on the document. For example, I could zoom right out to 25% and the line thickness will still look at the same as at 150%. Is there a setting to change this?

Hope someone can help by the end of today.

Many thanks!

Will

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off "enhance thin lines" in the Page Display area of the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-- and do not trust your screen. If the line is 0.5 pt thick in InDesign, that's what it is in the PDF, regardless of how much you zoom in or out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked over 4 forums on underline thickness issues and finally found this solution. It worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am having a very similar problem except that the lack of consistency in my underlined words is occuring when I try converting word doc to PDF. In Word, the underline is consistent underneath my words but then when I convert to pdf it is not (first image is PDF after I convert, secnd image is the original on Word). I cannot find "Page display" area of the prefrences on Word and was wondering how I can fix this problem?

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 3.43.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-10 at 3.44.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with underlining running into the bottom of text upon conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will sent me a PM because he's having trouble replying in the forum:

Hi, thanks.... but that is a setting in Acrobat.

The designer that I work with says that her InDesign doesn't have this line weight problem (or she has never seen this problem before), so is there a setting that I can change in inDesign?

(I tried to reply on the forum but I keep getting an error... 'You can't post a blank message')

This is not a problem in InDesign, it's a problem in the display in Acrobat (and you are the second person today to post about it). Acrobat is the place you need to be to fix it when viewing the PDF.

As far as your posting problem, are you using the web page editor, or email? Some email clients have issues. If the web page, you need a little patience sometimes for the editor screen to fully load, and then you may need to click inside the editing area to get an active cursor. Hitting Enter with a blank message area would generate that error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, "enhance thin lines" is a user setting, not a document one. It's on by default, so if others will be viewing the PDF, the majority will see the inconsistent line weights.

The best workaround I know of is to trick Acrobat into not seeing the shapes as simple straight lines by adding a single extra anchor point anywhere along the line or edge. This would obviously be a pain if you want to use paragraph rules for those lines. However, if they're separate shapes and there aren't a ton of them, just add a point to each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines