Highlighted

pdf looks different from indesign cs6 spread

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a family tree program that creates a tree but assigns children to either a mother or father; I need to erase those lines and add new ones. I've been placing white boxes over the old lines, and it looks fine on inesign spread, but when I test it on a pdf the boxes seem to erase the lines.

Why is that? 

Any ideas of a better way to erase some lines in a b/w document but not all! 

Thanksso much

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

pdf looks different from indesign cs6 spread

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a family tree program that creates a tree but assigns children to either a mother or father; I need to erase those lines and add new ones. I've been placing white boxes over the old lines, and it looks fine on inesign spread, but when I test it on a pdf the boxes seem to erase the lines.

Why is that? 

Any ideas of a better way to erase some lines in a b/w document but not all! 

Thanksso much

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you placing the PDFs in InDesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was trying to get too much into the weeds. But here are the weeds!

I'm taking a family tree chart from an family tree program and placing it in InDesign to complete a family history book. It does a great job of making a neat tree, however I need to alter some of the lines. 

To have the children emerge from both parents and to place the chart over a spread of two pages, I need to erase some of the lines that are in the pre-formed chart. I have done so by placing boxes of white fill over some small descending small lines that attach to a long horizontal line.  It reads fine on my InDesign program, but when I make a sample in a pdf (as the book itself will be printed via the pdf), the white boxes erase the horizontal lines.

Essentially it's a document of some kind, I'm not sure what (Family Tree Maker) going into InDesign then back into a pdf.

So I have two questions which would be fabulous to have answered: 

Why would a pdf look different from the InDesign spread?   

And is there another way to erase lines from a document that's not InDesign?

THANKYOU!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but that's just not helping. You'll need to post screenshots of InDesign and Acrobat as well as details on how those graphics are being placed into InDesign.

My feeling is that this would be best done in the family tree program, not InDesign and you'll have to tell us what exact format those images are and how you got them into InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines