• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF made with InDesign prints black background for transparent png from Illustrator

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a PDF using InDesign 16.0.1 and uploaded it to my online shop.  A customer sent me images that showed when she printed, the background behind my transparent images printed black instead of white so that other than some white fill, the entire page printed black (not a happy customer).

Here's how it was made:

• I made the transparent drawing in Illustrator and exported it as a transparent png file (line drawing). 
  • The png file was then placed in Indesign and then exported as a PDF. 

When viewed, the background behind the black line drawing was white.  What would cause it to print with a black background?

I could not recreate the problem with my printer and I don't have information about the preview software used to print the images.  I just don't want this to happen in the future any time I insert a transparent png file into an InDesign document.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stacey

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020
Why are you using PNG? Just place the AI file.

What you're describing sound like a third party PDF reader messing up the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

You'll have to flatten transparency in your PDFs for online - as online PDF  readers, like Foxit, Chrome Reader or any 3rd party PDF readers are not great with transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using PNG? Just place the AI file.

What you're describing sound like a third party PDF reader messing up the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I was wondering about the reader since I didn't know how they were opening and printing the file. Also, thanks for the tip about placing the AI file.  I'll have to give that a try. I have multiple artboards in the file and didn't think about being able to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to flatten transparency in your PDFs for online - as online PDF  readers, like Foxit, Chrome Reader or any 3rd party PDF readers are not great with transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip about flattening transparency in my PDFs before uploading!  I will give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines