• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf not exporting correctly?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting an ID file to PDF to send to printer. I have exported this same file many times without issue. This is a two page file for a brochure, that has a die-cut. I placed an EPS file of the die-cut line on a separate layer so the printer could turn it on/off or print separately as needed. Now, suddenly, when I export the file to PDF the die-line shows up with a white fill, totally blocking everything beneath it??? This never happened before. I've tried 10 different solutions and all produce the same thing.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Problem solved.

Bob, again, thanks for your efforts. Out of desperation, I recreated the illustrator file. Apparently the file had become corrupt, which is why it was not generating a preview. Both the EPS and PDF versions of the new file worked fine.

Best,

Bruce M.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why EPS? It's an archaic format. Open it in Illustrator, save as PDF and place that.

Be sure to show options and choose transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought. Is that die a spot color? Are you exporting to PDF/X1-a?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I tried exporting the dieline from Illustrator as a PDF, but it creates no preview of the line??? It just comes in blank. But when I export the ID file to PDF, the die line shows up for a split second as the PDF is previewing. The die-line has no fill. I was just using a 100% magenta 1pt stroke.

I'm gonna try using a spot color for the stroke and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plot thickens…

As I said, the EPS and PDF files are coming in with no preview. So I gave the die-line a spot color fill and exported from Illustrator as EPS and PDF. Neither of the file came in with a preview. So to me the problem seems to lie with Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to copy/paste the dieline from Illy to InDesign if it's really simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I export as PDF/X1-a?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved.

Bob, again, thanks for your efforts. Out of desperation, I recreated the illustrator file. Apparently the file had become corrupt, which is why it was not generating a preview. Both the EPS and PDF versions of the new file worked fine.

Best,

Bruce M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines