Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF to Indesign

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any free way to convert pdf file to indesign file?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Let's make a distinction between getting a facsimile copy of the formatting from the PDF, placing a PDF into InDesign and getting the bare-bones content out of a PDF for formatting into InDesign.

So far as getting a 100% accurate translation from PDF to InDesign, I would rethink this solution. There are two paid solutions, the first one has been mentioned, the other is offered by Markzware: Markzware PDF2DTP Adobe InDesign plugins convert PDF to InDesign INDD

Barbara's solution is good for taking

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but not for free. It requires a third party utility. This one gets good recommendations for those who use it:

PDF2ID - Recosoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its an option for you, you could import the PDF into InDesign, the same way you File > Place any image. You won't be able to edit it in InDesign directly, but you can edit the PDF in Acrobat and update it in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's make a distinction between getting a facsimile copy of the formatting from the PDF, placing a PDF into InDesign and getting the bare-bones content out of a PDF for formatting into InDesign.

So far as getting a 100% accurate translation from PDF to InDesign, I would rethink this solution. There are two paid solutions, the first one has been mentioned, the other is offered by Markzware: Markzware PDF2DTP Adobe InDesign plugins convert PDF to InDesign INDD

Barbara's solution is good for taking a PDF into InDesign but it will treat the PDF as an image/series of images. For long documents such as a book, a script such as multipageimportPDF (available from the indesignsecrets.com website) will certainly help.

If you need to get the text copy out of a PDF into an InDesign file, you can use the black arrow tool in Acrobat to select the type and copy and paste it into InDesign. This typically does one page at a time, but there's a trick to get all content in one fell swoop: How to Efficiently Select All the Text in a PDF Document: 10 Steps

If push comes to shove and you need to get ANY content out, you can try saving the PDF as a word file in the latest version of Acrobat DC and then importing the word file into InDesign. It won't be a facsimile copy and it will be a mess, but it's a start.

Ultimately, if you have an opportunity to get the original InDesign file that created the PDF, get that. If the PDF was created with any other software, then any of these solutions may need to be employed.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the tip to save the .PDF to a word file then import it helped alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for offering an affordable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am not having a good experience [link removed by moderator], yet to know when I will get my files 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd avoid these guys. I'm skeptical when I do an image search on their "testimonial" photos and they are using stock photos, along with generic names (i.e. Alex S., James K.). I am looking for conversion software, but need one that offers a trial first. Both of Markzware PDF2DTP and PDF2ID require a full purchase.  Any recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the end I bought the Recosoft version, and albeit a few installation issues, the utility is working well. I should have gone via this route from the beginning, instead of trying to find a cheaper alternative.

I still need to chase for a refund from PDF.heroes as although they eventually sent a file, I was unable to open the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chinasa,

we sent your files on 22nd of October. We think its not very fair - because your files contained ONLY sketches. We are not there to vectorize sketches. So – if you have any complaints, we are there to work out a solution. All refunds are made correctly. But in your case, the work is done. 

Kind Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to avoid us. Simply TEST our service with clicking on the "Yes, give me an example" button. If you don't like, you don't need to buy. I think this is a safe procedure for the clients.

Kind Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect your response, however I emailed your company to explain of my file opening issue, and no response was given. Is that normal customer service?

I recall also asking for feedback on delivery and received no response. I am sorry but I think it is fair to respond back to emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, we never received those messages – we had some spam filter issues, so it is possible these mails didn't arrive. Sorry for that. Please get back to us, so we can find a solution. Maybe you can use our Whatsapp-Service to chat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please take the dispute offline? This discussion is now locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines