Exit

PDF with single dotted line is not displayed

Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF attached should display like this (enlarged):

Gerben_Wierda_0-1594117531010.png

but it doesn't display at all. If I add an arrow head it does display. Is this a bug?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you using to view the PDF?

I see the dotted line here in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Preview.app on macOS  Mojave. The issue was that it wasn't visible/usable in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see the dotted line in Acrobat and Reader, however I get an error message about the very small height (.04" in Acrobat and .00" in Reader).

Also, the color space is device gray (not RGB or CMYK) which might be an issue with some viewers?

Edit: your PDF placed into InDesign will not appear. If opened in Illustrator and the artboard increased slightly, then saved as a new PDF using the Illustrator defaults, it works normally.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.28.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this is an ID bug? Or is the PDF actually faulty?

This is generated PDF (by another tool) that I need to import in an ID document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dimensions of the page are out-of-range. I would say the PDF is not useable as an InDesign link, unless modified in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote: Yes, it is not usable in ID. But is that a bug? In other words, is there a page size limit in the PDF standard or are there some non-standard related limits in Adobe tools (and different ones for different tools at that)?

Update: the standard says: The minimum page size should be 3 by 3 units in default user space; the maximum should be 14,400 by 14,400 units. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As in a reply noted below: there is a limit in the PDF standard. Adobe tools report on that limit (it seems that different tools may report on older versions of the limit). The PDF needs to have a minimum page size of 3x3 units. The unit can be set as well, so this PDF could be correct if it used smaller units.

ID does not accept it outside the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines