• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs from InDesign not updating

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed recently when I export a PDF from InDesign, then go back into InDesign to make changes, the follow-on PDFs export and open without the changes intact. The InDesign file does not lose the changes, but the pdf won't update when replaced unless I quit Acrobat and relaunch. Is anyone else seeing this happen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved it from Forum comments to InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KirkStudios,

As per your query, when you are trying to export PDF again after making some changes, PDF does not show changes.

Is it happening with one particular file or with multiple files? Would you mind sharing your file?

Also, please try saving on the desktop with a different name.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's sporadic, but with multiple files. Some days it happens with any file I'm working on in InDesign. If I rename the file, it solves it. Other days the problem does not happen at all. I first noticed it several months ago when I sent a file to a client and they commented that updates were not made. Today, it hasn't yet been an issue. Since it doesn't seem to happen out of Illustrator, I think it's an InDesign export issue, but again, it's sporadic. Was just curious if anyone else noticed this. I don't recall last file it occurred on, so at this time I wouldn't know which to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KirkStudios,

I tried to replicate the issue at my end however unable to do so. If you face this issue again, please feel free to reply on the same thread.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Srishti, I will!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same problem. Is there a solution?
Best regards, Erica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have also experienced the same problem, but it should be an Acrobat issue. In fact, if I try to open the pdf with a previous version of Acrobat everything is all right. I noticed that it happens when I try to export again and again the same pdf with the same name. It's just as if it can't overwrite it or it has the previous and wrong version in the cache. If I try to export the same pdf from Id but with a different name, it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac?

What version?

Any updates available? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am on a Mac, with Acrobat DC updated to the latest version. 

It does not happen every time, but still it's pretty annoying.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly might be a Mac thing. Are you exporting the desktop?

i had this a few weeks ago I have to save two files to the desktop to combine them, anyway, I needed to change the files and Everytime I exported to 1 page file and opened it it would show two pages. As I think it was still accessing the deleted two pager.

It's strange I never did get to the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am exporting to a classic folder ... unfortunately it looks very random and it's impossibile to predict when it will happen. The only solution seems to be changing the pdf name every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does quitting Acrobat (NOT just closing the documents) fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately with one file it did not work. With another one it worked. It's strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 same issue, why this is not fixed...? I can see treads from 2017...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is intermittent failure, creators of InDesign/Acrobat can't find same bug on their side. For example - I do never have this bug too. 

If you have this bug here and now - please connect with Adobe support chat about it. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on very rare occassions. When it does happen, throw out the old PDF before exporting and the problem will go away going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, Jeff hits the nail on the head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me but deleting and reinstalling Acrobat and updating InDesign did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same issue, but normal workarounds are not working this time. I've run into this issue periodically before, where changes in an indesign doc register on the ID doc, but new pdfs just show the old version, without updates. In the past, Deleting all versions of the PDF, shutting down InDesign and Acrobat and relaunching them both, and Renaming the InDesign document something entirely new has resolved the issue... this time, no such luck... any suggestions? I've got a newspaper that needs to go to print, and several edits will not show up on the PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before the altered INDD is exported, you should close the old pdf version. Otherwise you will see no changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines