• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pencil Tool Preferences

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me figure out why my pencil tool doesn't hold it's preferences? I like to keep the stroke and color set in a particular way so I can do markups easily, but for some reason the CC version is NOT holding my preferences. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Pencil Tool Preferences are the ones you see when you double-click on the tool. It doesn't save the stroke weight or color as a preference:

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 12.08.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy that's a bummer. The last version did and it saved me SO much time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, that's a bummer. The last version did save stroke and color preferences, and it saved me SO much time. Anyone else have the answer?! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has NEVER been a version of the Pencil tool in InDesign that saved stroke weight and color preferences. You must be thinking of a different application.

You can't do it in Illustrator either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Erynn16B8:

Steve's right—InDesign has never saved the stroke and color with the Pencil tool. Photoshop does remember your last Pencil settings, plus you can save presets. That said, you said you are looking to do "markups easily", so I'm thinking you mean Acrobat/Reader. 

After you add markup in Acrobat or Reader, right click it > Properties. Set your favorite color and stroke width then be sure to enablen the Make Properties Default checkbox. Click OK and Acrobat or Reader will remember your settings. If you are using the new Share for Review, be sure to click the Open in Acrobat button to access these controls.

markup.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good eye, Barb. I could tell he was talking about another application but I missed the phrase, "do markups."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I know what I'm taking about. I worked in publishing for 15 years and used the tool almost daily. I am also a SHE, not a HE 🙂

I'll keep hoping someone can help solve the mystery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a screen capture of the process I'm using in the way I've used it with previous versions.  Typically, i can select the pencil tool and set the stroke (1pt) and color (100y). Then when I draw with it, the tool will remember that's how I'd like it to appear. In this version, it just draws with no stroke or color and I have to THEN go back and set the two to my liking. Anyone got any bright ideas? 

Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Screen3.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines