• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance, InDesign lockups, and Cross-References

Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long (150 page) chapter, with lots of frames, and I put in a lot of cross-references, on the order of 50. It finally got to the point that, when I tried to move a text frame, InDesign would lock up. I created a new document, exported the text to .rtf and Placed it again. This stripped out all of my text anchors and made all of my cross-references into literal text. That's the bad news. The good news is now InDesign doesn't lock up when I move a text frame. I think I put in too many cross-references and it finally got to where the complexity and thus computational burder of moving the targets of the cross-references became more than InDesign can handle.

How many cross-references are safe to put in a document? And are cross-references to other documents worse than cross-references within the same document?

I also found that this export-to-rtf and Place did other bad things to my file:

• Adds a carriage return at the end of each footnote.
  • Overrides the styles for almost all of my styled paragraphs: Iasigned
    Panel Paragragh Clear Overrides to F12 and had to do this on all of
    the headings to restore my desired formatting.
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fifty internal cross-references should be fine. I mean, x-refs that refer to the same document they're in.

But x-refs to other documents are problematic, because InDesign has to keep opening those docs in the background to check the x-refs.

To improve performance in such a case, make sure that ALL the docs that are being references are open all the time. That avoids forcing ID to open and close them in the background all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines