• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo specs for Indesign or photoshop?

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company is working with a printer in China, as they have for years and will not change, so I have to try and figure out what they need done.

This is what they claim needs to be done with each file:

1. Insert all PSD files, no longer than 133%, which means if your box is 10", then your PSD file can not be larger than 13" ----what does this mean??

2. Trim/crop the size down to 100-120% for each photo---does this mean the excess part of the photo that is not seen? Is this done in indesign or photoshop?

3. All fonts and page numbers need to be setting----does this mean for the automatic page numbers? What about the fonts?

If anyone has any clue what they could be referring to please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

It sounds like the remnants from an ancient workflow. The earliest versions of InDesign and Quark did not provide Effective Resolution info, so I think they are worrying about image scaling dropping the effective resolution below an acceptable threshold.

So if you are literally placing 300ppi images and you scale them over 133% the effective (output) resolution will drop below 225ppi and you will start to see the affect of the scaled output resolution: 300/1.33 = 226.

Of course if you were to plac

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not ask if they’ll take a PDF? These instructions are flat our insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, because they have the printer color match clothes they need the INDD file 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that they mean % and not ppi? Saying that something should be no larger than 133 ppi (most likely at 100% size in the InDesign file) makes a lot more sense than 133%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They already said 300dpi at 100% for print. So I'm still very confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you need to address these questions directly with your printer. Discussing it here will most likely lead to a number of different theories—any of which would need to be confirmed by your printer anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the remnants from an ancient workflow. The earliest versions of InDesign and Quark did not provide Effective Resolution info, so I think they are worrying about image scaling dropping the effective resolution below an acceptable threshold.

So if you are literally placing 300ppi images and you scale them over 133% the effective (output) resolution will drop below 225ppi and you will start to see the affect of the scaled output resolution: 300/1.33 = 226.

Of course if you were to place a higher resolution image, the effective resolution might easily stay above the desired resolution threshold. A 600ppi image scaled to 200% would have an output resolution of 300ppi. So in the end they are really asking you to keep the Effective res over 225ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes total sense. Most of their work seems backwards to me at times and they refuse to change how they do things.

Thank you for explaining this in a clearer way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I needsome design about the clothes type materials that was helped on my site of the stylish drug rug baja hoodies to attract the customer.Is your site provided me this services or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines