Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos blurry in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to Indesign and trying to create a documents with a few photos in them.  When I photoshop my image in photoshop the image will look fine but when i place it in Indesign it is blurry and choppy. I have checked my setting and everything is set to high quality.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

The problem MDoudna86 had is with the view setiing, not with the image itself. If you experience this problem in InDesign go to the View Menu>Display Performance and select Typical Display or High Quality Display. This should resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are up to date, and the images aren't screen captures or something similar that was upsampled to get the high resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having this insane blurry issues when high-res when I create an interactive PDF out of indesign. It continually happens and always happens after I've finished creating a document and am trying to submit it. The blurriness is like a virus that just comes and goes when it pleases.

I have DISPLAY PERFORMANCE > HIGH QUALITY - checked and under PREFERENCES > DISPLAY PERFORMANCE > I have "preserve Object-Level Display Settings" NOT checked and I have DEFAULT VIEW "High Quality"

My images are always a larger pixel count, then the bounding box I place them in, and then I check fit content proportionally.

I have NO IDEA why my page counter logo will not become high res.

The EFFECTIVE PPI is 581 // ACTUAL PPI is 72 - WHY WON'T it become high res, the images is 500 x 220 and the image box I've placed it in can't be more than 100 x 50 pixels.

It always looks fine in the document, and then the export is blurry.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 4.29.59 PM.png

Please advise anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I wonder if yours got solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export to an interactive PDF, Ctrl+E.  There is a setting EXPORT to INTERACTIVE PDF>COMPRESSION, it appears Indesign automatically compresses any JPEG in the file.  By changing this setting to High and increasing the ppi, I resolved my blurry photo's.  I am not a great user of Indesign, just trying to help out some other new users as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johndglobe Thank you.  That is a very important thing to know.  Knowing where the export setting are for image quality have been critical to being able to manage export quality and file size.

Have you any ideas as to why the display of the graphics within InDesign might be blurry?  Keep in mind the solutions already suggested and tried above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else see that the 'Correct Answer' to the initial question in this thread doesn't actually answer it, but gives an answer to do something the person explicitly said they have tried?

If there are no moderators to correct this, I might create a new thread to get more responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you hijacked a 6 year old thread and should have started a new on at that time.

I'll branch this off to a new one now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that didn't work too well. Only got some of the posts.

You may be better off trying a new thread.

Photos blurry in InDesign (BRANCHED)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you got the main ones...Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMSPhotoDude…..this helped resolve my issue right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on my software and my image was still blurry. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read through this thread, so forgive repetition.

Some thoughts to check:

1) Do you have a retina (high definition) screen?

2) What is the effective resolution PPI of your image(s)?

3) Are you viewing images using High Quality Display under Diplay Performance?

4) Are your images Linked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

Some really useful tips on this thread. I have also tried everything suggested expect from changing the pixels as I do not know how to do this. My blurry images currently have an actual PPI of 96 and effective PPI of 73 x 95. 

Can someone please help me on how I change this on the image itself if that is what is needed? And what I should change it to?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines