• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop missing in "edit with" context menu for images

Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Indesign cc 2017. My "edit with" right click menu does not have Photoshop listed. I have to click "other" and then locate photoshop.exe everytime I want to edit my image in photoshop. What should I do so that photoshop is always listed in my "edit with" context menu?edit with photoshop missing.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've just had the same issue with InDesign CC 2019 (no "open with Photoshop" option) and wanted to log my solution. (BobLevine was right)

I fixed it by setting Photoshop as the default application in Windows Explorer for .jpg files:

Then started indesign, and the Photoshop option was back:

Then I set the default .jpg app back to Photos as it was before, and the option still shows in InDesign.

Hope that helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same issue, i did what you said, it worked!! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me too after tearing my hair out for 2 days having to locate Photoshop every time I needed to edit. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me to! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am setting up a new computer and having the same problem. I did your process and I want to log that it did not work for me. Any other fixes out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I had to do it in windows explorer for every file type and now it is working. However, I have to keep it set to photoshop in order for indesign to recognize it. That's not a very useful solution as I am often trying to look at files without photoshop open. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across this today as I am encountering the same issue in InDesign recently. I frequently import JPGs (survey photos) into InDesign for client proofs. I often want to open those JPGs with Photoshop from InDesign (default app = Photos, because I want to keep the ability to open the originals quickly w/o having to wait for PS to launch each time) to create separate mockup files (I do a Save As to create a separate mockup file from the original survey photo). The problem is that there are no other options for "Edit With" other than InDesign in the contextual menu.

Yes, I can reassign all JPGs to open with Photoshop, but I don't want that to be my default. I just want to be able to override that and choose "Open With -> Photoshop" on an as-needed basis. But, the option is not there.

I tried the below -- changing the default JPG "open with" app to Photoshop (which works as expected in the InDesign "Edit With" menu) and then changing the association back to Photos -- but as soon as I change the association back to Photos, the Photoshop option in InDesign's "Edit With" menu goes away again. It doesn't keep the Photoshop option, as described above (see @zoom_dandy 's last comment above -- I'm encountering the same exact thing).

I mean, yes, I can select "Other..." at the bottom and navigate to Photoshop each and every time I want to open a JPG in Photoshop, but this is pretty tedious/annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, pleae help, I'm using Windows 11, new, clear install

editwith.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you hit "Other..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it goes to explorer and I need to find photoshop.exe every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines