• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel size in InDesign vs. Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a 255x220 px image at 300 ppm in Photoshop but it imports into InDesign at 100% as a 62.2 x 52.8 px image. Why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

I regret that I still do not understand why the 255x220px image that I made in Photoshop (at 300ppi) isn’t filling the 255x220px frame that I made for it in my InDesign layout when imported at 100%.

InDesign uses the placed file's print output dimensions in inches when you place at 100%—the pixel dimensions are not considered.

So if you check your Image Size in Photoshop its output dimensions at 300ppi are .85" x .733":

Screen Shot 7.png

When I place on an InDesign page with the ruler units set to inches the image's

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image would print effectively at around (roughly) 1 inch by 1 inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt reply but I regret that I still do not understand why the 255x220px image that I made in Photoshop (at 300ppi) isn’t filling the 255x220px frame that I made for it in my InDesign layout when imported at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300PPI (pixels per inch) – look at the Effective PPI in the InDesign Links panel. It should be around 250 to 350 PPI per image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regret that I still do not understand why the 255x220px image that I made in Photoshop (at 300ppi) isn’t filling the 255x220px frame that I made for it in my InDesign layout when imported at 100%.

InDesign uses the placed file's print output dimensions in inches when you place at 100%—the pixel dimensions are not considered.

So if you check your Image Size in Photoshop its output dimensions at 300ppi are .85" x .733":

Screen Shot 7.png

When I place on an InDesign page with the ruler units set to inches the image's output dimensions are the same:

Screen Shot 8.png

If I change my ruler units to pixels the image's pixel dimensions and resolution have not changed, but the Transform panel shows me pixel ruler units where 1 pixel =1/72".

An InDesign page has no resolution, as John points out, the pixel unit is just a convenience for exporting a page to an image format with a specific pixel dimension.

Screen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Derek, but I regret that I still do not understand why the 255x220px image that I made in Photoshop (at 300ppi) isn’t filling the 255x220px frame that I made for it in my InDesign layout when imported at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jo72933865  wrote

62.2 x 52.8 px

Where are you getting that measurement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screen shots of the ID image frame (green box) which is 255 x 220 px with the imported image (purple box) at 62.2 x 52.8 at 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jo72933865  wrote

Why?

Because by using pixels as the unit of measure in InDesign, you're dictating a document resolution of 72 ppi.

Your image was saved at 300 ppi

72/300 = 0.24

Your image dimensions: 255 x 220 / 0.24 = 62.2 x 52.8

If you're working on a layout for screen display (the only reason you'd want to use pixels as the unit of measure), your image(s) should be saved using Export for Screen or Save for Web. That would give you the result you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Your response is very helpful.

So, it sounds like I should never save a photo file for use in an email layout at a ppi higher than 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does email come into this, you started by asking about placing images into InDesign!

Are you optimising an image in Photoshop, then placing it in InDesign where you're adding text and then saving the InDesign file as say a JPG for an attachment in an email?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am using InDesign CC2018 (with presets for a document to 'Publish Online') to create art that will be saved as a JPG for use in an email.

I originally thought that for best image quality, I needed to import JPG files into the layout at 300ppi but I guess that is wrong - and - is the reason that my 255x220 px JPG at 300ppi was not filling the 255x220 px frame in the InDesign layout.

I appreciate the contributions to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it doesn’t matter a bean if you have high resolution JPEG in the layout, as everything will be fixed to the JOE.g resolution you choose. JPEG is not made for text and may look awful, test PNG for the final save (not the photos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to create art that will be saved as a JPG for use in an email.

If your email consists of a single image, then the pixel units are useful and you don't have to worry about scaling your placed images as long as you watch that the scaled or Effective Resolution doesn't drop below the export resolution.

So if your email's target dimension is something like 600x400 pixels, you can set up your document to those pixel dimensions. Here with the Page Tool selected the Transform Panel tells me the page is 600x400 px.

If I export this page to PNG or JPEG image formats at 72ppi the exported pixel dimensions will match.

Screen Shot 10.png

I can scale my 300ppi image on the page, but would want to make sure the effective resolution doesn't drop below the 72ppi export, otherwise it will be upsampled. Here my scaled (238%), placed image will export as 150x130 px relative to the 600x400 pixel page.

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MANY THANKS to you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This has resolved my issue, a very confusing difference between Photoshop and InDesign. I set my document using the inches size given in Photoshop in the correct pixel sized image: worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines