• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelated images after license transfer

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a team and we had one InDesign license. I was recently hired so the license was transferred over to me so I could download the desktop app. When I open files that were made by the previous user with the license, the images are pixelated although I have changed the Display Performace to the highest quality/resolution. How do I make my images clear? I am using a Mac and the previous license user used a PC. Could that have something to do with it?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Is the person who formerly had the license still with the organization?

The cloud link means that the linked graphics weren't stored locally, but on a cloud/virtual drive. Most likely Creative Cloud Files, but not absolutely — they could have been stored on Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. You'll likely have to get with whoever previously worked with the file and find out where those source files are tucked away. Failing that, you'll have to find where the graphic file(s) can be found and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your links panel for the images. Are the links broken to the original image files?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when I first try to open an indd file, it tells me "This document contains 3 links to sources that are missing. You can find or relink the missing links using the Links panel."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with a licence, even if I am not sure that “transfering a licence” from a team member to another one is legal, but the problem is elsewhere. What do you see in the links panel? Have you missing links (a white question mark on a red background shape)? You need to have access to these links to see them correctly.

Edit: Mike was faster than me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I spoke with Adobe and they transferred the license for me, so no worries there. I see some images there with a cloud graphic and a red dot on the cloud. When I hover over that, I see "Missing. Double click to link from CC Libraries." When I double click, it says "Select a graphic to relink." I select the image but nothing happens. Maybe I don't have access to the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click, it says "Select a graphic to relink." I select the image but nothing happens.

Where do you select the image? Where is it stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it in the links tab and select it from there. I am not sure if that is the right place to click.  I also see the CC Libraries tab open with a red dot and "Relink: {name of file}" I am unable to click that file name though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the person who formerly had the license still with the organization?

The cloud link means that the linked graphics weren't stored locally, but on a cloud/virtual drive. Most likely Creative Cloud Files, but not absolutely — they could have been stored on Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. You'll likely have to get with whoever previously worked with the file and find out where those source files are tucked away. Failing that, you'll have to find where the graphic file(s) can be found and re-link them to your InDesign document.

Using cloud storage for linked graphics can be convenient for a number of reasons, but as you've discovered, it has its pitfalls. I recommend that if you're going to use virtual storage for your jobs, you create them locally, package them and upload the entire package folder to the cloud. I also recommend storing them locally, either on a user's desktop storage or, if storage space is tight, offline on a physical network resource or backup drive.

Sorry you got caught in this. Depending on how many other jobs you have where this could be a problem, this could be a little time bomb that keeps going off for a considerable amount of time.

Hopefully this will help you get past the issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines