Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place Excel file into InDesign with excel character formatting

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Im trying to place an excel file into Indesign. Some of the text in the cells have multiple Formats/Colors in them for example some cell text is bold while other text is red. Is it possible to carry this over into InDesign? 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kyle5E80 It depends. I have done it successfully before but it’s always different based on the document so you’ll need to test when you place the Excel document (check “Show Import Options”) based on the Formatting options you select in the settings prior to importing. Did you set up table styles in InDesign prior to importing?

442sample.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my styles set up in InDesign and the overall L/F of the table isn't the problem. The problem I run into is that one collumn of the excel document has cells with multiple character styles. Random lines within these cells are bolded or red. Without being able to import that information from excel I will have to manually highlight lines of text and apply different character styles. Being that I'm working with large tables this will take forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, wow, okay, that's probably above my knowledge base, lol. Seems if one cell has multiple character styles you are going to need some type of script or action that will recognize and convert/retain them. Hopefully, someone here in the Community will have a great solution for you. Is there any way the Excel document could be exported to Word and then place Word into InDesign, which gives you greater character control? Or will the entire spreadsheet unravel?

Another thought: Could you use a GREP style for the bold and red text so it will be automatically applied with the paragraph style throughout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If there is a pattern to the text syntax you can create a grep code. Is there one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines