• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place / link to one InDesign in another InDesign document and retain hyperlinks

Participant ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the hyperlinks of a placed document be kept active when placing that InDesign or Adobe interactive document into another InDesign publication?

I have one InDesign document that is more like a 1/2-page ad that I placed into a larger InDesign document. The document being placed has hyperlinks connected to some of the text, but I have been unable to keep those hyperlinks active after the document is placed. I did not want to recreate the hyperlinks from document one inside document two.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

The reason is that a placed object (InDesign file, for example) is treated as artwork, not as an editable object. It becomes the same as a placed Illustrator file, or placed Photoshop image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason is that a placed object (InDesign file, for example) is treated as artwork, not as an editable object. It becomes the same as a placed Illustrator file, or placed Photoshop image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help.

Later, I discovered that the hyperlinks will stay active (will transport) when using the Content Collector Tool. Multiple items can be grouped before using the tool so that all items transport together as a group. However, the group cannot be resized as a group after using the Content Placer Tool, so the area where the items are placed needs to be large enough to accept all items in the group. The Content Place Tool will link the placed items to the original document so changes to the original can be updated easily wherever it has been placed. However, in the Content Place Tool, if the box is not checked for "Create Link," then it is not really different than placing an item via Copy-Paste function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines