• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place" feature is not highlighted to use.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am learning InDesign. CS6. I tried to place graphics/photos onto a book I wanted to create, but "Place" function is not working. Any help would be much appreciated.

John.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have a compatible OS etc, then try resetting the InDesign preferences back to the factory defaults.

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

By the way, did you use the book feature to set up your document (File > New > Book)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"By the way, did you use the book feature to set up your document (File > New > Book)?"

Yes, I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way is Place not working? Are you saying the command is unavailable? Or are you able to go to File ? Place and select a file, but you cannot place it? Do you, perhaps, have a locked layer selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  I opened a new document/book. I tried to place some images, so I go to file , look for "place" to place the images but Place feature is not highlighted/available for me to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Book" feature is used the assemble InDesign documents, so you need to create the documents first – the Book future is used for longer documents, how many pages in your document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am learning the software, so I just make a book of 10 pages randomly. The pages don't show. I cannot type , frame, text don't show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start again, you don't need the Book feature, use File > New > Document.

Then fill in the details of page size, margins, bleed etc in the dialogue box.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 16.58.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do I need to reset preferences? for example unit in inches instead of picas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, the pages show up and place command shows up. Thanks, but how do I go from here to make a book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to reset the preferences, that's used rarely and it's for when there's an application corruption.

In preferences you can change the units you prefer to work in, normally it's mm or inches.

Ignore the book feature it's for long documents, such as those over 200 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand that InDesign is a professional publishing application with a steep learning curve. You can't proceed by figuring it out for yourself. You need some training and you can get excellent step-by-step video tutorials from https://www.linkedin.com/learning/ and you can get 30-days free access. LinkedIn Learning has this one "InDesign 2021 Quick Start" – search to see if they have one for your, frankly, old version of CS6, launched in 2012.

Have a look at this one: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/introducing-indesign/welcome

Please feel free to return to this forum with questions when you get stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and the tips. I still don't understand why those commands won't work when I open a new file as book. That doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned,  the Book feature is not used to create documents but to combine several documents into one. Its purpose is to make very long documents more manageable. Your document consists of only a few pages, so it's not necessary to use the Book function.

I hope that now makes sense and that you get some training as I suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again, Derek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines