• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed illustrator files not to original scale

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am placing illustrator files into indesign by clicking, this should keep the image at the original scale correct? But its not, when I check the illustrator at 100% the dimensions are correct, but in the indesign file it is smaller to some weird scale. 

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When placing an .ai file click the Options checkbox and choose wether you placed the page or just the artwork, when doing it, does it sale it down?

Please state the Indesign version. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Federico,

If you mean, the "Crop to: Art", yes the image is still imported smaller. I believe my version is 15.1.1 and I am using Creative Cloud.

Thank you,

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jj9977,

does this also happen if you create a new InDesign document and then place the Illustrator file?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe Laubender,

Yes the images/illustrator files are still resized(smaller) in new documents, but are to scale in the original picture(exported png) and illustrator file,

Thank you,

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the difference in the display’s Zoom Magnification, or the output dimensions? Have you checked the output dimensions using the application’s Transform panels? Here Illustrator shows the output dimension is 4" x 4", and in ID the output dimension is also 4" x 4" when the Transform scale is 100%:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but are to scale in the original picture(exported png) and illustrator file,

Are you placing the AI file, or the AI file exported as a PNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I tried changing the output dimensions and it resizes the 'cropping' of the image, but the brown lined box for the image is in the same dimensions as the illustrator file. 

I have tried importing the AI and exported PNG of the AI and both are still getting scaled down when placed in indesign.

Thanks,

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the AI and ID files via your CC account or some other sharing service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I will try,

thanks

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put theAI and ID files in a folder inside of your Creative Cloud Files folder, which by default will be in your computer’s user folder. Right click the folder and choose View on Website. When the page opens, click the Share button with the + symbol to get a URL link and post that here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I sent them through a private message, is that okay? 

Regards,

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing a problem. If I set the ruler units to Inches in both apps the output dimensions and the display at a 100% zoom view match. Your AI artboard measures 16.535" x 11.6714" and you are placing the full artboard in InDesign:

Screen Shot 18.png

The placed Link selected in InDesign—the Transform panel’s numbers match. You did have the InDesign Ruler units set to Picas, not sure if that’s the problem?

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Yes they are the same, but... I am not sure if it works like this, but when I set the zoom to 100% in indesign, using a physical ruler to 'measure' the screen, the dimensions are not as the original. When I set it to 100% in illustrator, the dimensions match the real ruler in my hand.

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you assuming that "100%" will mean the same size on screen in multiple apps? This is a common but dangerous assumption. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Yes, does it not work like that? Then this might be the issue!...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What versions of ID and AI are you using? The current version of AI has a Pixel Preview where the 100% view is the same as Photoshop’s, which is a 1:1 ratio between monitor and image pixels. With InDesign and Illustrator with Pixel Preview unchecked, the 100% view is the Print Output size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI is 24.2.3 and ID is 15.1.1

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything displays as expected for me, and the output dimensions all match. Are you using AI’s Pixel Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am using GPU Preview. 

I also have 'acutal size' selected in Indesign but the AI image is scaled down in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Overprint Preview in Illustrator make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would send it privately, thanks for your help.

No, overprint did not change the size.

Jj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want others to take a look post your Google Drive share URL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are the same, but... I am not sure if it works like this, but when I set the zoom to 100% in indesign, using a physical ruler to 'measure' the screen, the dimensions are not as the original.

If you set your InDesign Zoom magnification to 100%, and the Ruler units to inches or millimeters, do the inch or millimeter marks mesaure accurately with a physical ruler? If they do not try resetting your InDesign Preferences. Starting with CS6 InDesign’s 100% view is the print output view where a screen ruler inch should match a physical inch. InDesign looks to your system to get your monitor resolution in order to display the accurate print output. If that’s not happening either your prefs are corrupt, or ID can’t get the monitor specs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to revive this thread. I am importing .eps files (Illustrator 28.2) into InDesign (19.2) at 100%, Mac OS 12.7.3.

It does not matter if the files are .eps or .ai … the objects are larger (according to the Properties info) in InDesign. For the example I am including, the difference is 0.177 mm. May  not sound like much, but these are _supposed_ to be 1:1

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 15.32.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines