Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

placed images appear pixelated

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

i'm trying to create a layout for a comic book with indesign.

the images i use are from 300 PPI images. when i place them

in indesign they appear pixelated. i changed the display to high

quality, and the effective ppi of the images sais 300. what

else can be causing this?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

You are still viewing a downsampled preview. If ID displayed every image on a page as it appears in Photoshop the program would never run. How do they print?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are still viewing a downsampled preview. If ID displayed every image on a page as it appears in Photoshop the program would never run. How do they print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

youre right, it prints fine. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yet many programs do...

without checking the resolution or viewing the source image or printing it out, how do you know if the image is actually pixelated?  seems a little odd for a high-end program like this to not at least give the user the option to view the images as close to print as the display would allow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

skyrunvacations wrote:

yet many programs do...

without checking the resolution or viewing the source image or printing it out, how do you know if the image is actually pixelated?  seems a little odd for a high-end program like this to not at least give the user the option to view the images as close to print as the display would allow.

Which programs would that be? ID does allow you to use a high-quality preview, but keep in mind that you can produce a page that is extremely large and might contain dozens, perhaps hundreds, of high resolution images. If it were storing all of that pixel data in the files they would be both too large to store on may machines, and would require more memeory that is availble to display. You really don't want to wait 10 minutes between keystrokes, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quick way to just double check a single image in ID to make sure there are no quality problems with it? I get what you are saying about the massive size of a ID file bogging down your entire system, but I would think that Adobe would have some simple, light and easy way just to preview a image without bogging down your system.

The way I have been doing it lately is just saving it as a pdf and viewing it that way. The images that I was concerned about being pixelated were actually not pixelated, but another image was pixelated though.

If anything comes to mind I would love to know,

Thanks

-Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the image and check the Info panel or the link info to get the effective ppi value. There's no guarantee that a high value means the image is good -- someone could have upsampled a poor quality file -- but a low value would be a clue to a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter! This is helpful 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They print fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I am a little late but, you can view the images in heigher quality too go to view-display proformence then Heigh Quality Display. it done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the best advice thank you. I don't know how all these other people are creating designs that they can't see? you shouldn't have to print or save a file to know how it's going to look that really is missing the point. Microsoft publisher copes just fine btw everyone - and is easier to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem too! I had clicked on the icon for PasteBoard Preferences (the little icon on the lower-left, near the page number) and selected Presentation. That worked well too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came across this by accident: I use View/Overprint Preview (or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works for me! thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, I have four images, and only one of them is pixelated. Why is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the effective resolution as explained above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, all the settings were right, but the previews were still low res/pixelated. A quit and restart of InDesign fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines