Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed items from libraries are all rasterised

Engaged ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I created some simple vectors in illustrator, placed them into a library. And bu simple I mean squares and circles

In idesign I hold alt whilst dragging into document.

All vectors are rasterised and cannot be edited, recolored or anything in indesign.

This never used to be the case and in other older libraries no such issues.

The items in the libraries have the Ai logo next to them.

How can I fix this please?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Hi Gareth,

what's your exact version of InDesign and Illustrator?

In case you add vector objects to a CC Library with Illustrator, InDesign 2020 should be able to see them as AI vector graphics. Placing the object will result in a placed AI graphic with PDF characteristics.

Just tested this with InDesign 2020 version 15.1.2.226 and Illustrator 2020 version 24.3.

Editing the CC library item from InDesign is possible with the item selected in CC Libraries and command Edit Original.That would s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector items placed in InDesign could never be edited in the past, and still behave this way. The only way to edit placed .ai files is to either return to AI or bring them in via Copy/Paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott this has literally been how I have worked for years. For instance in illustrator I might make some text round a circle or what ever,  then outline the text then put it in libraries

in indesign alt drag in then I can change its colour, line thickness etc. I can see when selected the outline of the text etc. I have done this since libraries became a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you cut and paste from AI to ID the Clipboard Prefs, and complexity of the drawing affect whether the pasted object in ID is editable vectors, or a composite PDF object. So if I setup my AI and ID clipboard prefs like this:

Screen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.png

And paste a simple AI vector into ID, its paths are editable. If I add the pasted vector to the Library from InDesign rather than from AI, I can drag the library item into ID as a vector, which I think is what you are looking for. However if I drag the same item into AI, it is added as a linked cloud object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gareth,

what's your exact version of InDesign and Illustrator?

In case you add vector objects to a CC Library with Illustrator, InDesign 2020 should be able to see them as AI vector graphics. Placing the object will result in a placed AI graphic with PDF characteristics.

Just tested this with InDesign 2020 version 15.1.2.226 and Illustrator 2020 version 24.3.

Editing the CC library item from InDesign is possible with the item selected in CC Libraries and command Edit Original.That would start up Adobe Illustrator with the graphic opened.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same problem and figured out how to solve it 🙂
If you copy/paste the vector from Adobe Illustrator into Indesign, Then from indesign place the vector into the libraries it should work as a vector in future. For some reason it was just a problem with uploading it to the libraries form illustrator 🙂

hope this helps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines