Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed PDFs not rendering correctly

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I place a PDF in InDesign 2021, certain parts of the pdf are not displaying correctly. (first image) It seems like it is mainly text. This has happened on a few customers pdfs now. 

If I preview in CPU mode, they are correct.

If I preview in Typical Display Quality instead of High Quality, they display correctly. (2nd image)

So, GPU mode on High Quality is showing these incorrectly.

GPU-HighQualityView.pngGPU-TypicalDisplay.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Yoiks. Canva has not had the best track record in creating PDFs, particularly with how it embeds fonts, so this could be causing your errors.

Did you try a simple resave of the PDF from Acrobat to see if reconforming them works better?

You could also use Acrobat to convert the type to outlines (not what one would normally want to do, but might be the answer here)... In Acrobat: Print Production > Preflight > Convert Fonts to Outlines fixup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it print correctly?

maybe is your graphics card? what are the computer specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it prints correctly. 

Hoping it's not something with the graphics card. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.14.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also worth mentioning not every pdf has this error. I'll try to find out what program these customers have been using to create the pdfs that arent rendering properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After asking the customers, I've found all PDFs that have had these rendering issues were created in Canva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yoiks. Canva has not had the best track record in creating PDFs, particularly with how it embeds fonts, so this could be causing your errors.

Did you try a simple resave of the PDF from Acrobat to see if reconforming them works better?

You could also use Acrobat to convert the type to outlines (not what one would normally want to do, but might be the answer here)... In Acrobat: Print Production > Preflight > Convert Fonts to Outlines fixup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I tried a simple resave in Acrobat but it didn't change anything.

The outlining of the fonts worked. I didn't know you could do that in Acrobat so that's super helpful.  Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the outlining fonts solution*, I would first insure the fonts on the supplied PDF are embedded (File> Properties> Fonts) they should all say embedded or embedded subset, if they don't, try a preflight to embed the fonts. You can also usually identify the program that created the PDF by going to (File> Properties> Description). Try saving the PDF as PDF/X-1a from Acrobat (File> Save-as other> Press-ready PDF> Settings> PDF/X-1a), this may clean up the Canva issues. Try opening the PDF in Illustrator, while Illustrator is not a universal PDF editor, if the fonts look OK, re-save as a PDF, using the Illustrator default settings. How does the original PDF look in InDesign when overprint preview is on? (View> Overprint preview).

* Outlining fonts will produce a screen pdf without type hinting, no accessibility features and can't be searched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oops, the forum is acting up, wrong thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines