Highlighted

Placeholder text in idml export

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a translator and work with idml files for my customers who use InDesign. I import the idml files into Trados Studio which is a CAT programme and then export them als idml to send to my customers.

I have a new customer who has sent me idml files and when I open them in Trados the text has been replaced with placeholder text (Lorem ipsum etc.).

My customer has no idea why this is happening and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've been working with idml files with other customers and all the test files I did with this new customer were fine.

I have downloaded the trial version of InDesign and opened the indd file myself, when I export it als idml and try to open it in Trados the same thing happens. I can open all idml files in InDesign and everything looks OK.

Does anyone know what I could do?

Thank you very much 🙂

Linda

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Placeholder text in idml export

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a translator and work with idml files for my customers who use InDesign. I import the idml files into Trados Studio which is a CAT programme and then export them als idml to send to my customers.

I have a new customer who has sent me idml files and when I open them in Trados the text has been replaced with placeholder text (Lorem ipsum etc.).

My customer has no idea why this is happening and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've been working with idml files with other customers and all the test files I did with this new customer were fine.

I have downloaded the trial version of InDesign and opened the indd file myself, when I export it als idml and try to open it in Trados the same thing happens. I can open all idml files in InDesign and everything looks OK.

Does anyone know what I could do?

Thank you very much 🙂

Linda

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A short note to this question - I have now compared the indd files with the imported idml files and discovered that the actual text I need to translate is actually there but scattered amongst a whole load of filler text. How can I save the original indd file without any concealed filler text? Is this possible? Thanks once again 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda,

that's a really strange issue you have. Your IDML file contains Lorem ipsum text you cannot see in the document if you open the IDML file with InDesign?

Hm. I guess what you see technically is "Hidden Text" also called Conditional Text.

Text that is formatted with a condition. And the condition says: Hidden ( not visible ).

Read about Conditional Text in the documentation:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/editing-text.html#use_conditional_text

Or if you prefer a PDF, read page 296pp :

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/pdf/indesign_reference.pdf?red=a

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply Uwe. I found out that half of my idml file that I opened in Trados Studio contained placeholder text and the text that I was supposed to translate was dispersed between the placeholder text and in full at the end of the file.

I'm still working on the job, simply ignoring the placeholder text. When I export the files from Studio to idml the text isn't visible again. I think you are right and the text is marked as hidden.

My customer will be giving me an InDesign license to work with - do you have any ideas how I can simply get rid of this text in future? 

Thanks and take care

Linda

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda,

you could unhide the text with a specific condition. See the panel for Conditional Text.
If visible again you could find/replace it with e.g. GREP Find-Change or TEXT Find-Change in InDesign.

Your find action would be solely based on the formatting of text with a specific condition.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Uwe, I'll pass this information on to my customer, perhaps they will be able to send me a "clean" version next time 🙂

Best regards

Linda

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines